Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

"Pearl Review"

Sail Date: June 12, 2011

Traveled As: Family w/young children

The ports were better than expected--very enjoyable. The Kids Club made all of our 4 eligible children in our party happy.

The food and the entertainment were the worst of any of the 8 cruises that I have been on. Specifically, the grade of meat and fish were inferior to anything I could ever expect. The fish was inedible--except for a specialty restaurant salmon. Most cruises have superior grades of meat--not so this cruise. Everyone in our party of 13 was grossly dissatisfied with the meat. The exception was breakfast--that was consistently good. Having no changes in the lunch menu was boring--as evidenced by the dining room being 1/8 full at any time at lunch.

Pros: Kids Club, ports

Cons: Food and entertainment

Recommends Norwegian Pearl? No.

The "Pearl" dancers and singers were the worst entertainment I have ever seen on a cruise. The lead singer was obnoxious and the dancers were not good. Other entertainment was not good as well. The only outstanding entertainment were the classical group that played in a bar.

The first sea-day's activities were good. Subsequent sea days' activities were not as good.
The size was quite small for a balcony room. The carpet was not well-vacuumed--especially at the edges and corners, but, after being asked, the steward obliged in this matter. The amenities were fine, except that the bathroom needed about 1' more depth.
The steward and the maitre d were the ones who went above and beyond in cleaning the room and accommodating our party of 13.
Food was horrible. I would suggest better dining room food, less extra restaurants. Dining times were fine. Ambiance of Summer Palace was unparalleled. Specialty options were never near capacity, so I fear that other passengers felt as I did--have better dining room food, less specialty options.
Pirate party was excellent.
Juneau, Alaska
Hard to rate, as it was raining so much. I enjoyed the Mendenhall Glacier. We really enjoyed Tracy's Crab Shack.
Don't Miss: Mendenhall Glacier
Ketchikan, Alaska
Most quaint town. Enjoyed shopping, Ate at Angela's--good. Saw Lumerjack Show because we had 7 children with us. That was enjoyable, but wouldn't have seen it if the children had not been with us.
Don't Miss: The town itself
Victoria, British Columbia
Spent our time at Butchart Gardens. Was a very expensive trip, even though it was enjoyable.
Don't Miss: Butchart Gardens