Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

A Great Alaskan Adventure!

Sail Date: August 12, 2007

We chose NCL's Pearl for our vacation because of the amenities on board for our 11 & 12 year old sons. We had always heard that Alaska was an "old person's" cruise, so we made sure there was stuff to do on board. We had a great time! Tons of stuff to do, great shore excursions, and the ship is great! Lots of places to hang out and read- near the pool or not. Covered areas, lots of windows, etc. Service was excellent, but I did hear some complaints. The only downfall is that food was not always available if you didn't want to go to one of the buffets. Dining rooms/specialty restaurants hours didn't necessarily coincide with "all aboard" times in port. Never did get to eat at La Cucina- couldn't get reservations. Overall, not just a cruise for old people. Plenty to do and see for all ages and all mobility levels (my mom rides a scooter.)

Pros: Shore Excursions & The New Ship

Cons: Restaurant reservations sometimess difficult to get

Recommends Norwegian Pearl? Yes!

Lots of debate about the freestyle dining concept. Quality of the food was excellent, many options available, but we had to eat at the buffet quite a bit due to dining rooms being full.
We had some special needs- a scooter to attend to, and we had personal reasons for wanting to know the exact waterways we were traveling in- everyone was helpful, even when they couldn't answer our questions.
Great entertainment, comedian, shows, etc.
Nice size for a stateroom. We had a balcony- a MUST in Alaska!
Victoria, British Columbia
Went to Butchart Gardens. My only complaint is we didn't have enough time there. The gardens are amazing, and even interesting to 2 pre-teen boys! On a previous trip, we went to see the Orcas in this port- better than humpbacks in Juneau if you ask me. Far more whales to see.
Ketchikan, Alaska
Did a ropes course/zipline excursion. Kids loved it. I had a good time too, but was a little more nervous on the ropes course than I thought I would be. Guides are friendly/helpful and won't make you feel like an idiot if you get nervous!
Skagway, Alaska
We loved Skagway. We went to Haines by catermaran, then to the Chilkoot Lake wildlife expedition. Saw many, many eagles, and salmon. No bears for us this time. The lake is amazing- like nothing I've seen before. We also did the helicopter to the glacier/dog sledding. By far the best thing I've ever done- EVER! LOVED IT! We were nervous about the helicopter, but it was a smooth and beautiful flight. Dog sledding was fun, informative and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Don't Miss: Helicopter to Dog Sled Camp on the glacier
Juneau, Alaska
We did whale watching. Only saw 2 whales. Saw more whales on the ship than in this excursion. Whales are more active in Hawaii- but I guess we're spoiled. Lots of people lOVED this excursion.