Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Purser

Good but not the greatest

Sail Date: April 04, 2015

Traveled As: Family w/young children

I've cruised other cruise lines and found this one to be ok, but not the greatest. The service was not as "perky" and friendly. Half of the crew on the floors were females, a lot more than other cruise lines. There were inconsistencies with the service each floor was getting in their staterooms. Our room never got chocolate at our bedside, no room service menus, breakfast order forms, beach towels, laundry bags, etc. Some floors got them.  I found that it wasn't "all inclusive." If you wanted to use the all adult pool/spa, you had to pay extra. Also there were a lot of restaurants but they were additional charges to eat there. My young ones wanted to meet the Nickelodeon characters and that too was an additional "special event breakfast" for extra charge. Same goes with the karaoke. Room service had a surcharge of 18% after midnight. All the drinks also had 18% surcharge/gratuity added. The photo counter charged me extra for the close-up pictures saying it cost more because they used a 15mm lens. They had some sort of Asian food at the buffet daily but it was horrible. They had an all out farewell pool party on the deck with NO food.  Perhaps if I didn't know any better I would think this cruise was fabulous but I've seen other cruise lines do things a bit different so I am biased. Just my opinion.

Newer ship everything was digital, clean, upgraded.
Some foods were ok,nightly specials were great, but others were horrible (Asian food was bad).
Small but clean and practical.
Some were extremely nice, friendly, kind. Behind the scene cooks, help was also nice. Restaurant, shops, and photo crew was rude and unfriendly.
Compared to other cruise lines, the quality was great, but quantity was lacking. My older kids got bored at night.
Didn't go b/c lack of fun activities.
What they had was great but not many of them. They had one show (2 times) or comedy each night . I've been on cruises with 2 comedians with 2 different acts per night.
Loved all the ports and excursions.
Dolphin swim was great.
Belize City, Belize
People were nice and the jungles were beautiful.
Trujillo, Honduras
Locals constantly bombarded tourists with souvenirs and didn't feel very safe.

Breakfast buffet at the Garden Cafe was same every morning. The fiesta/ice carving/ watermelon carvings display was not as impressive as I've seen before. Hot tub was not hot. 7 days was too long to be on this ship.