Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Sail Date: February 21, 2015

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Room Type: Suite

Embarkation – quick, easy, priority embarkation for Haven guests

Haven Experience – as background, we booked a two-bedroom suite last July for five of us girls.  The prices dropped SIGNIFICANTLY and included all the great perks within a few weeks of sailing. Oh well! We all know how that works. For anyone who has the flexibility to wait – you cannot beat the current fares on the Haven right now.

• Room Steward “Alex” – OK, not great.Our second time in a suite and both times we had “lack-luster” room stewards.Kind of strange.

• Butler “Erlindo” – good

• Concierge “Florentina” – good

• Haven Attendant “Jon” – outstanding.Took care of the Haven from sun up to late afternoon.Always had a smile on his face and the five of us loved his “copy that” and “happy” responses to all requests.He’s a keeper!

• Mini gym – recumbent bicycle and treadmill.Great for me, since I cycle each morning.Deck 15 (only accessible from the Haven I think) provided the perfect spot for my stretching and core building exercises so I never had to fight the gym crowds.

Food –

Specialty restaurants

• Teppanyaki – excellent, great quality and huge quantity.Chef was very entertaining

• La Cuchina – excellent salmon, pasta carbonara – friendly service

• Moderno – very good food, but extremely slow service.After 1.5 hours – decided to quit

Complimentary  dining

• Azura – nice casual atmosphere.Fair service and fair food

• Tzar’s – beautiful atmosphere.Fair service and fair food

• O’Sheehans – nice casual atmosphere – good for people watching.Fair service and fair food.

• Buffet – nicely laid out with a great selection that should meet anyone’s needs.Only ate there for lunch.

• “Band on the Run” – good, not great

• Comedian - OK

• Russian Couple – AWESOME!

• Cirque – AWESOME!

Splash Academy – We had my 8-yr old granddaughter with us.  She loved Splash Academy.  They put a Circus production on the last sea day.  It was great!

• Cozumel – Fury Snorkel & Beach tour – GREAT!!! Snorkeling was good and the beach time with all the large water toys was great for all ages.

• Banana Coast – Tranquility Bay was awesome.Quiet, serene, excellent massage ($45 for an hour).The name fits – enjoyed a beautiful day there.

Overall – a very nice cruise.   I’m a freestyle fan and really enjoyed the relaxation.

Jewel-class ships are my favorit. Good size with something for everyone.
Specialty restaurants were great. Complimentary dining was OK.
Beautiful 2-bedroom suite with a master bath to die for! The shower and tub overlooked the water.
Jon, who took care of us in the Haven was fantastic. Overall, the crew was great, with a few exceptions.
Definitely the best entertainment I've seen in a while. The Russian couple and the Cirque show were both fantastic.
We couldn't get my 8-year old granddaughter out of Splash Academy. If it was open, she was there.
Something was offered for everyone. We were primarily looking for relaxation though.
The Fury excursion in Cozumel was great - good snorkeling and fantastic beach activities. Tranquility Bay in Trujillo Honduras was lovely.
Houston, Texas
Easy in and out. Beware, though, the port is far from either airport, so transfers are expensive.
Nice port with something for everyone. Panchos backyard restaurant and market is a favorite.
Belize City, Belize
Good diving, but not much else.
Trujillo, Honduras
Head to Tranquility Bay for a beautiful, relaxing experience.

If you want to get away -head to the Thermal Suite. It is so relaxing and rejuvenating. Also - with full shower facilities and hair dryers, it's a great alternative when several folks need to get ready for meals.