Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

A Fabulous Experience

Sail Date: August 13, 2006

The ship was beautiful and very comfortable. Very clean. The staff was pleasant and helpful. This was our 1st cruise with Norwegian altho we have been on 4-5 other cruises on other ships. We liked the different dining options but sometimes it was hard to get reservations, but there were always the large dining rooms that needed no reservations so it was ok. The food however, was very mediocre at best. Salad was always fresh and the pastry chef was superb but the main meals were not good and the meat quality was not up to American standards

Pros: the ports of call

Cons: the food on board the ship was mediocre. Early start times of excursions.

Villefranche-Sur-Mer, France
Had to leave too early & the tour was rather short but we went to Nice & Monaco and they were both beautiful & not to be missed.
Don't Miss: Nice & Monaco
Villefranche-Sur-Mer, France
Don't Miss: Nice & Monaco
Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
We did Barroche Rome which was great. We saw the entire city (all the important sites) & went past the ruins as well. We also had time to see the Vatican. It was an extremely comprehensive tour with a nice meal and a great guide.
Don't Miss: Rome!!!
Naples, Italy
The women in my family took a tour of Sorrento and the Amalfi coast. It was spectacular & our guise was excellent. We were taken to a beautiful restaurant and had a fabulous meal with a view to match. The men climbed Mt. Vesuvius & toured Pompeii. My son said it was too many volcanos and he would have preferred just doing Pompeii. Thier guise was also not that good and no meal.
Don't Miss: Sorrento & Amalfi Coast (town of Amalfi so-so but the trip is spectacular)
Messina, Sicily
Compared to the other ports of call this was not that impressive. My husband and son climbed Mt. Etna and they enjoyed that more than the tour of the city that I took with my daughter & mother.
Don't Miss: The clock tower on the hour.
Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
Don't Miss: Rome!!!
Livorno (Florence & Pisa), Italy
We did Florence on our own and my only criticism was that we did not have enough time in this port. The bus ride is about 1.5-2 hours each way and we only had 5 nours in the city. So much to do there! The organized tours did not include the Academia Del Arte, where the David was so we went on our own. We stood in line for 2 hours.(We'd been to Florence before but not our kids) Suggest you make reservations. That left us with only 3 or so hours to eat & do the rest of Florence. The bus was very expensive for not that much time. Also the bus left us off rather far from the sites so that ate into our time & we had to walk almost a mile to get back to the bus. Exhausting!
Don't Miss: The David! The shopping! The Gelato!
Naples, Italy
Messina, Sicily
Don't Miss: The clock tower on the hour.
Livorno (Florence & Pisa), Italy
Don't Miss: The David! The shopping! The Gelato!