Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

I wish I lived on the Jewel!

Sail Date: August 12, 2007

The name Jewel was well chosen for this ship. It was beautiful! The decor was very well done. The ship was quiet, there was not a ton of smoke coming from the smoke stack. It was also very stable, the cruise was rather smooth.

I took an excursion at every port. All of them were great, except one. The one that was not great was good. I do suggest researching the Catholic holidays before booking your cruise. If you are interested in visiting the Vatican make sure it is not a holiday because it will be closed. The excursions appear expensive but it is the safest way to see the cities and get back to the ship on time. The guides lived in the cities we visited and took great pride in them. They were very knowledgeable, entertaining and made sure that all were present and accounted for.

I will most definitely cruise with NCL again. It was money well spent and I had a great time.

Pros: The service was excellent!

Cons: The long walk from the food serving area to a table left the food cold sometimes, but that's no big deal.

Recommends Norwegian Jewel? Yes!

I don't have children, but I did notice that every child I saw appeared to be having a great time. The cruise was family friendly.
The ship was very clean. Before entering dining areas and the ship, guests were to spray their hands with sanitizer; there was always a person with a spray bottle in hand to make sure that it was done. This prevented the awful ship sickness that many cruisers have experienced. Public areas were clean and comfortable.
The stateroom was clean and comfortable. It was the size of a dorm room, but you will only use it for sleeping.
There was a variety of food for all tastes. I did find the vegetarian entre selection to be rather small, but there was a large salad bar. The specialty resteraunts served delicious food. There were some with a cover charge, but it was only $5 during happy hour and $10 (US) at others. Although we were in the Western Meditteranean the food was somewhat "Americanized" so there was no shock to the taste buds.
The staff of the ship was very diverse; there were people from every continent. Every announcement was given in several languages. The staff (the entire staff) was also very efficient, it was amazing to see how well prepared everything was. They were also genuinely friendly and wanted their guests to have a good time.
If you were bored on the Jewel it was because you wanted to be. The cruise was very family friendly, I was very surprised to see so many children. There was entertainment for people of all ages, dance lessons for those with two left feet, a magician, Second City Comedy shows and even towel animal folding lessons.
Livorno (Florence & Pisa), Italy
The excursion was a little pricey and did not include a pass to the top of the Leaning Tower. Florence was very nice.
Don't Miss: The Leaning Tower
Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
The architecture was stunning! The history is incredible!
Don't Miss: St. Peter's Square
Messina, Sicily
Beautiful scenery! I took The God Father Tour. The landscape was breath taking. There was a lot of walking, so if you want to get in shape you will.
Naples, Italy
Again, the scenery. Very beautiful churches. Pompeii was amazing.
Don't Miss: The ruins of Pompeii
Villefranche-Sur-Mer, France
More breath taking scenery! Monaco was almost a Fairy Tale city. Very expensive and clean.
Don't Miss: The church where Grace Kelley and the Prince were married.