Comfortable Cruise

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Norwegian Getaway

7 Night Western Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: October 07, 2018

Ship: Norwegian Getaway

Cabin type: Oceanview

Cabin number: 5832

Traveled as: Singles/Friends

Review summary

The food wasn’t the best however I opted for the complimentary options and dinned only a few times at the a la carte restaurants. There were lots of entertainment options. I especially enjoyed the dance shows by Burn The Floor. My stateroom was clean, spacious and comfortable even though I was located on deck 5 but with an ocean view. I booked this trip 3 weeks before disembarkation and it was my very first cruise. I did not use a travel agent and chose not to book any of my excursions through the cruiseline as they were usually more expensive. I enjoyed every moment and would definitely sail with Norwegian again.

Embarkation

Lots of crowd but quick once your number was called to embark.

Ship experiences

Fitness Center

I was expecting a small room as a fitness center like most resorts/hotels but was pleasantly surprised at its moderate size. Keeping myself in shape while on vacation is still important to me. It was divided into (4) rooms: Cardio machines (elliptical, bikes, treadmills), lifting and free weights (dumbbells, barbells, squat rack, Smith machine, lifting machines, freestyle area), Classroom (class and instructional aerobics) and cycling.

Ship tip

Breakfast is the best time at the Garden Cafe.

Ports of call

Miami, Florida

Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras Did not visit port

Due to a traveling storm our port was adjusted to Falmouth, Jamaica instead. Not much to do at the port and it’s a small town situated about a 30min drive away from the better tourist ports: Montego Bay or Negril.

Harvest Caye, Belize Did not visit port

Due to a traveling storm our port was adjusted to Grand Cayman. A beautiful island! I will definitely visit again.

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico

A small port with a tourist center with mostly gifts shops, jewelry stores, pool and bar situated in the middle of the center. Once you leave the center there is little to see. Costa Maya is a quaint Mexican port surrounded by a lot of tropical Jungle. I recommend booking an excursions for this port. I recommend Native Tours! Visit the Maya temples and Bacalar Lagoon.

A fun port with a strip with lots to see and to do. Cozumel is a small island situated off the mainland. I took an excursion through the jungle on an X-Trail and visited a cenote. Definitely a fun adventure but the cenote left much to be desired. It is after all a watering hole in the midst of a jungle. Swimming inside was not for the faint of heart: it smelled horrid because of the sulphur.

Disembarkation

Quick and easy. I opted for the self-disembarkation because I traveled with one suitcase. I was off the ship and out of the port in under 10 mins.