Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Everything costs extra

Sail Date: March 06, 2016

While being a twice yearly or so cruiser, I consider myself an above average customer. I'm not a fanatic on service and don't need much except a clean room and good itinerary. And these were good, although Ocho Rios has not "been improved" as our Captain stated. It is a mess, and I spent a lot of money on local street vendors just because they looked like they needed help. My problem was during the tour of the gym facilities, I needed a tour to tell me the steam and sauna rooms were EXTRA. It was in the "private" vip area that did not even have a daily rate. How can they charge extra for a quick steam or sauna after a workout or an island venture. Then I got sick on the 6th night. I went to the infirmary with my receipt for insurance that I purchased. They said $189 plus medicine. I said I was covered and they said great. It's $189 plus medicine. They insisted I pay before treatment and I refused, being I was covered. They told me " We give you a detailed invoice to submit to a third party carrier."  I said I would not pay and asked are they willing to let me go back out to the ship feeling this ill? They said that is their policy. I said "good luck to everyone else on board". You can't touch a door or leave a room without somebody sanitizing you but they let me leave without treatment. It is the most reckless policy I have ever seen, being a ship the week before had to return to port over a virus. It turned out I had full blown pneumonia after I got home and diagnosed upon Mondays return. I would like to know how many people may have gotten sick due to this ships $$$$ policy.

Very nice
Miami, Florida
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas No tender service
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
No port, no amenities. Really such a low standard of living it was hard to enjoy ourselves. We drove around a bought things from people who are clearly downtrodden just so they could have a few bucks. They were great but the government clearly doesn't give a shit...
George Town, Grand Cayman

Don't get sick it will cost you.