Honeymoon

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Contributor Level: Third Mate

7 Night Western Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)
Sail Date: January 24, 2016
Ship: Norwegian Getaway

Where do I even begin? I booked about a month in advance and took advantage of one of many promos. How couldn't I enjoy all the free delicious food and alcohol I could consume? Free breakfast delivered to your room at the time of your choosing? Yes please! Perfect weather, beaches, a balcony, great performers everywhere, and a fantastic casino all made this a really wonderful and memorable trip.

My wife and I showed up at the port very early with no boarding passes. It only took a minute of standing there looking confused until a Norwegian employee found us, tagged and took our luggage, and sent us to where we would board the ship. Without our boarding passes, we were sent to a security desk, then sent past the entire line where carry on luggage is scanned and passes are checked. Once on the ship, there was no shortage of things to do. The ship left port late around 10pm, and we watched the Miami city skyline float by from our balcony.

The ship was extremely clean, the decor was modern and tasteful, and hand sanitizing stations were everywhere. We even had our own designated house cleaning guy.

The destinations we visited were mixed:

We really enjoyed Norwegian's private island in the Bahamas. We para-sailed, paddle boarded, tanned, and swam in the ocean. Food and beverage were provided complimentary.

Jamaica wasn't very much fun, but it would have been better had we known what to expect. We don't partake in any herbal adventures, but if that's your cup of tea (or brownie) you'll love that aspect of Jamaica. I wish we had chosen a Norwegian excursion here, but instead we shopped and took a private cab tour. The locals are inappropriately pushy about selling you worthless tourist junk, and the cab driver was definitely partnered with some local shops.

The other islands were great. We did our own snorkeling/stingray adventure in the Caymans, and zip-lining through the cruise in Mexico. Both were equally awesome.

The entertainment was very good all around. Seeing all the theater performances was worth it. There is also singing and comedy available all over the ship.

The food is excellent. The buffet food is much higher quality than I'd expect from a buffet, and the specialty dining options are better than most chain restaurants in the US.

After this cruise, my wife and I had no trouble at all deciding that we're going to be cruising again. Since this was our first, we'll probably try another line to compare, but I have a feeling this isn't our last cruise with Norwegian.

This comes with complimentary access to the thermal suite. The thermal suite is amazing. I spent many hours there. Getting the balcony spa room is cheaper than buying a thermal suite pass separately. This room is also located closer to the spa, and higher up on the ship for a better view from the balcony.

Sake is always available at Wasabi. I'm an addict.

Learn Spanish. It's very difficult to find people who speak English well.