Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Amazing First Cruise!

Sail Date: December 13, 2015

Room Type: Suite

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our time on the Getaway.  It was my first cruise and my wife's third and we couldn't have asked for a better time.  We stayed in a spa suite, which was part of the Haven.  Our room was large with a good sized balcony.  The bathroom was large enough for two people to get ready in at the same time.  Our butler, Arni was absolutely wonderful.  Every morning we left the room to head to breakfast, he was the first person to greet us and ask how we were doing.  Every time I saw him, he had a smile on his face and you could tell all he wanted to do was make his guests happy.  As a member of the Haven, you are well taken care, with the butler or steward always ensuring you had little treats in your room or taking the time to answer dumb questions from a first time cruiser.

We decided to do three nights of specialty dining, which was enough for us.  During that time we ate at Teppanyaki, Cagney's, and the Italian restaurant. Teppanyaki was by far the best Japanese hibachi restaurant I have ever eaten.  The steak and chicken were perfectly cooked and delicious.  Cagney's was your typical steakhouse, but was delicious nonetheless.  The Italian restaurant didn't blow us away.  We probably should have chosen one of the other places instead.  The rest of the time, we either ate one of the complimentary restaurants, which were still really good, or we ate in the Haven.  The Haven restaurant was more of a fine dining place and was never crowded or loud.  We always got fantastic service everywhere we went.

Since we had a spa suite room in the Haven, we had a complimentary cruise long pass to the Thermal Spa, which was an adult only place to relax with numerous amenities and peace and quiet.  We didn't spend much time around the pools or spas on deck 15 as they always seemed pretty crowded and noisy.

For the excursions, we decided to do the jet ski tour in the Bahamas, tubing and zip line in Jamaica, Snorkeling in the Cayman Islands, and the Tulum ruins in Cozumel.  The jet ski tour was our favorite.  My wife and I had been on them before, so we got to be up towards the front with the head guide.  That meant we could pretty much ride a max speed during the entire tour.  The guides were funny and just wanted to have a good time and ensure we did the same.  The tubing in Jamaica was fun and the guides were awesome.  The zip lines were fun but rather short (there were only three of them).  Snorkeling in the Cayman Island started late and finished earlier than it was supposed to.  We only got about 20-30 minutes at each site we visited (only two).  Tulum was fun and our guide was extremely knowledgeable.

All in all we had a great time.  Being on a large ship didn't bother me since I didn't have anything to compare it to.  We would love to try Norwegian again in the future and could only hope the staff and experience are just as perfect.

Great size room and balcony. Bathroom was large enough for two to get ready.
Being in the Haven, we had priority when it came to embarkation and disembarkation. Our Concierge Virginia escorted us off the ship for excursions, so there were no lines.
We didn't bring our child, so I can't answer this one.
The Wine Lover's Musical show was a lot of fun and taught me quite a bit about wine tasting.
The entire staff working in the Haven were amazing and stopped at nothing to ensure you were happy.
Miami, Florida
I never want to travel through the Miami airport again. The people are some of the rudest I have had the displeasure of dealing with.
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas
Jet ski tour was the most fun we had on our excursions.
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Tubing guides were a lot of fun. Be prepared to wheel and deal if you want to buy any merchandise from the locals.
George Town, Grand Cayman
Beautiful place, but the excursion was poorly planned and was about a half hour shorter than it was supposed to be.
Tulum ruins was a great educational tour.

If you have the ability to stay in the Haven, do it. You will be much less stressed and will have a place to get away from the crowds and rowdy people.