Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

"A great cruise"

Sail Date: April 12, 2008

Traveled As: Family w/young children

I have cruised many times before and I have to say that this was the first with Norwegian and probably one of the best. I took my kids (11,13,17) and it was their first cruise. They had a blast!! Kids program is beyond excellent. Food is delicious, but shocked that most restaurants had a surcharge. Good thing is you don't need to eat at these places, bad news is that they were great and you should give some of them a try. Brand new ship and very upscale.

Pros: Freestyle dining

Cons: Most restaurants have a surcharge

Recommends Norwegian Gem? Yes!

Small cabins, but how much time do you actually spend there anyway????
Some of the staff at the casino were rude. Service a bit slow in a couple of restaurants.
DO NOT miss Teppanyaki's. If you eat at only 1 surcharge restaurant make this your choice! Entertaining and the best filet mignon I have had ever.
Bingo was ridiculously expensive. Shows at night were excellent. Plenty of activities to choose from, but not enough entertainment centered around the pool areas.
Beyond EXCELLENT. Cheerful, organized, an abundance of scheduled activities. I will never bring my children on any other cruiseline after having experienced this program.
Port Canaveral, Florida
Rent a car at companies onsite at the port and buy Disney tickets at the park. Will save you a TON of money.
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
I don't enjoy this port. Little to do right off the ship. There is a small straw market there to browse through. An excursion would be a great idea to see the sites.
Take a horse and buggy ride through town. Visit the Atlantis.