Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

My Cruise on the Norwegian Gem

Sail Date: March 22, 2008

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Room Type: Suite

The Norwegian Gem is a nice ship, the Gym was really nice but I did not like the fact that if you wanted to use the whirlpools and saunas you had to pay $75.00 extra for the week or $22.00 per use and no indoor pool. Something that I did not expect. I was on the Norwegian Dawn 2 years ago and it had a heated indoor pool and whirlpool and sauna and steam room available at no extra charge. I was very disappointed to not see the same on the Gem. Having mentioned the Norwegian Dawn I want to say that I had a terrible time. The food was lousy, the service was terrible, and entertainment was awful. When I booked the Cruise on the Gem I mentioned this to the BJ's agent and she assured me that NCL got their act together so I booked this cruise. I am happy to say that overall most everything was good. The food was great, service was great and entertainment was excellent. The downside was the Whirlpool and Sauna areas as mentioned above and also the kids program was non-existent for 10-year-old kids. In my opinion most areas on the Gem seemed much smaller than on the Norwegian Dawn probably to make room for the Giant Garden Villas on the Private 14th floor of the ship. The Gem did have some cool new things like a rock climbing wall and a full basketball court that doubles as a tennis court. 4 Bowling lanes inside one of the nightclubs Down side $5.00 per person per game and on the sun deck areas there were big round cozy rattan tanning beds to lay on. The pool areas were nice with an adult pool and childrens pool. I recommend the Gem it lives up to its name.

Pros: The Food!

Cons: A little expensive.

Recommends Norwegian Gem? Yes!

Not happy with the kids programs for 10 year olds.
New Ship very clean, did not like having to walk through the smoke filled casino to get to some areas of the ship.
Great room I had a Mini Suite with bacony it was larger than a standard suite with a bacony.
Great Food in the dinning rooms best I've experienced.
Great staff and excellent service.
Great entertainment all the shows were very nicley done.
Port Canaveral, Florida
This is my second time to Port Canaveral first time I went to Kennedy Space Center It was nice. This cruise we went to Coco Beach It was nice.
Don't Miss: Ron-Jon's Mega Shop for some T-Shirts and beach apparel.
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
Did not go to the beach but did a little shopping.
Don't Miss: Lucaya Beach
We went to the Atlantis Resort had a great time. Excursion was a bit on the expensive side but there is allot to do there.
Don't Miss: Atlantis Resort
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas
I have been there on a prior Norwegian cruise, but this trip we could not go due rough sea conditions. The tender boats could not be used.
Don't Miss: The Beach.