Good with some reservations
Norwegian Epic Cruise Review to Europe - Western Europe
Sail Date: January 03, 2016
Ship: Norwegian Epic
Cabin Type: Balcony
Traveled As: Couple
Reviewed: 1 year ago
It was a very efficient embarkation. We got our shipboard card within 20 minutes of arriving there and were on board the NCL Epic by 12:30 pm. We were so early that the cabin was not ready so we had a buffet lunch first after picking up water in the Duty Free. They couldn’t accept our Mastercard for some reason. So we used my Amex card. We were into our cabin by 1:30 pm and after checking it all out decided to have a snooze.
Impressions of our cabin:
1. Very poorly designed.
2. The bed was far too short for me. My feet hung over the end.
3. The Bathroom configuration was terrible. There is no bathroom, in fact.
4. The Toilet was very small.
5. The Shower was OK, but no railings for hanging any towels or robes.
6. There were no robes. (We had to ask for them later.)
7. No separate facilities to wash, shave., etc.
8. Worst bathroom situation we’ve seen.
9. Difficult to find room to roll our suitcases, even.
10. The Air conditiioner was far too noisy. Had to keep cabin door to the balcony open all night to avoid the air conditioner kicking in. We eventually had an engineer come and fix it.
11. Very large balcony (almost too large, we didn’t use half of it.)
12. Thought about complaining but why when everyone has the same conditions.
13. We won’t be travelling on this ship again.
14. Too many passengers for my liking.
Getting up and down the elevators was a major task. Only 2 elevator shafts on the whole ship.
The Buffet was overcrowded and we always found it difficult to find a table and the food was only adequate.
We had to book everything (the shows, the restaurants and any activities) - so much for "Freestyle Cruising".
Enough of the negatives, here are our positives:
1. Efficient embarking and debarking...best yet out of 12 cruises.
2. Wonderful, kind, considerate, helpful and loving Cabin Attendant.
3. Good interactive TV
4. Good phone system.
5. Largest balcony we've ever had.
6. Excellent service and food in the specialty restaurants.
7. Lots of activities every day. Many we just didn't like or we were too old to participate, however.
8. Wonderful excursions. Montserrat and Port Mogan were the highlights.
9. The shows and entertainment were top quality.
10. The overall operation of the NCL cruiseline is excellent. The Epic is poorly designed (French apparently) and we were told this design will not continue with other ships of the fleet.
NCL is a good cruise line, but it needs to scrap the Epic. Most of the Haven (the rich part of the ship) was not being used.
We have to add, why a ship of this size has such a small Theatre, we don't quite understand. The Theatre only held about 700 people, compared to other smaller ships, that hold well over 1000. Little wonder we had trouble getting to the shows without booking.
Food and Dining
Service and Staff
The ship needs a complete re-design. The cabins, the elevators, the accessibility to each deck.