Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

A cruise not be be missed!!

Sail Date: January 18, 2007

The ship was very impressive, always clean, with staff & crew always highly visible and accessable to answer any questions. They were most informative about their surroundings, and also provided great recommendations when asked about shore excurions or shopping opportumities in the ports of call. Our room stewards, Jelvine & Phillip, attended to all of our daily needs, always with a smile, a kind comment & frequently with great humor. Although it was not expected, we did tip both of them at the completion of the cruise. The wait staff in the dining rooms, 95% of the time, were exceptional..very attentative, especially when dining in the specialty restaurants where you are billed a service fee ($10-$20/per person). Ship's crew were very alert & reacted promptly to numerous complaints about children running wild, unaccompanied by any adult supervision.

Pros: Freestyle dining, ports of call & great variety of shore excursions

Cons: Food quality/preparation in the Blue Lagoon (open 24 hours) & is was difficult to get reservations in 1 of the specialty restaurants (Cagney's)

Recommends Norwegian Dawn? Yes!

Ship was very large, huge number of staterooms available with balconies. I did feel the the pool was very small, however.
With the exception of the food served in the Blue Lagoon, the food was very good.
As with all staterooms on any cruiseline, the room was small. We did have a balcony which was a nice extra as it afforded some privacy when sitting outside, and was a great place to check out the sunrise & sunsets daily.
There were 2 shows nightly, but in each bar & pub there was always some type of musical entertainment so you could pick & choose who you would like to hear, and know where to go to hear them. The cruiseline did a great job of putting together a daily update which was delivered to your room each day, letting you know what activities were planned for that day, as well as providing maps & recommendations for shopping upon arrival to the next port which was most helpful.
99% of everyone we came in contact with greeted you with a warm smile, a kind word, etc.. The waiters/waitresses in the bars & pub attended to your every need and were the only servers on the ship who receive a 15% gratuity with each & every beverage they serve to you.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
This was our favorite port and we hope to return to stay on our next vacation. The beaches are fabulous. We went to Orient Beach (beware..clothing optional) which was quite an experience. The temperature of the water was 83%, powder soft sand, large waves, and the lunch & cocktails we had were excellent. We did do some shopping close to the pier where you can get great buys on quality merchandise, as well as very low prices on liquor & cigarettes.
Don't Miss: Find a beach!! Ships crew tell us that this is the best port to purchase electronics.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Road Town, Tortola, B.V.I.
We went on a catamaran ride in this port. The crew were exceptionally courteous, and extremely knowledgable about their island, culture, and the islands which surround them. We were taken to a small, uninhabited island, Norman Island, where snorkling gear was provided to us, as well as instruction to those who were unfamiliar. From there we got back onto the boat & were taken to a small beach, with the occupants of the catamaran being the only ones there. We did no shopping in this port.
Don't Miss: Water sports of any kind & get to chatting with the locals.
Road Town, Tortola, B.V.I.
Don't Miss: Water sports of any kind & get to chatting with the locals.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
There was a big variety of shore excursions available in this port. We selected an underwater "helmut sea trek" which was great fun. We did not do any shopping in this port. Our only meal was a lunch which we purchased at the site of our excurion.
Don't Miss: Don't miss the opportunity to check out a beach.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Don't Miss: Don't miss the opportunity to check out a beach.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I was unimpressed. I did find a nice little shop that sold of all things, hats. I did treat myself to a hat as the sun had been very intense. I found the souvenier shops to carry merchandise of a poor quality, nothing I chose to bring home with me. We did not dine off the ship in this port.
Don't Miss: ??