Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review to Bermuda

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Freestyle, I call it wait and pay

Sail Date: October 09, 2016

Reviewed: 1 month ago

My 6th cruise, 2nd with NCL. Im really not a fussy person but the service on this cruise was poor. 3 days of shower flooding, had to ask for ice frequently, went half the cruise with out face cloth or hand towels. Don't bother getting the drink package you will never get enough drink service to make it worth it. Funny this was one of their free choice options when booking. Constant lines at bars for drinks, bartenders had no ideas who was waiting patiently for their turn and who just cut in. People were standing in line for drinks while other bars were closed. Never had anyone the entire cruise offer bar service. I'm really not a big drinker but people are on vacation. The ship was very under staffed, average of two hours to get through dinner, waiting to take order, waiting to be served, drink order often finally taken halfway through meal and by the waiter. Food was good but certainly not hot. Orders were getting mixed up and cruise cards given back to wrong people. Always check you name on your card as it may not be yours. Buffet was a good selection but often overcrowded, hard to find table. Again no one ever came around to take a drink order or even refill your coffee. On several days they closed half the buffet for maintenance having people enter and exit from same way, mass confusion. I was very disappointed. The ship was big and nice but due to weather and ruff seas a lot of options were canceled and closed off with no alternatives. Im new to this freestyle and although its a great idea NCL is not geared up for it. You definitely give up good service for this freestyle approach. And be prepared to pay extra for a lot. Freestyle does not mean free. I have never complained about a cruise before. Traveled with Royal, Princess, Celebrity and NCL back in 2008. Things have really changed. I don't blame the staff they were overwhelmed and understaffed and poorly directed. Our 3 days in Bermuda cruise was redirected due to hurricane Nicole instead made a short stop in CapeCanverial and Bahamas both just hit by hurricane Mathew. Not a great option. They offered a $200.00 onboard credit which had to be used or loosed. Really??

We made some complaints one night about food service and next day got 4 chocolate covered strawberries sent to our room. Really food reward on a cruise ship LOL .How about a massage, specialty dinner, or free show. Well if you've stayed with me this long thanks and good luck. I truly hope you NCL experience is better. BTW the ship was not full, I heard it was down 1500 passengers, can't imagine what it would have been like fully booked.

Room was nice, we never had a balcony before. They are small, two chairs and small table. Saw our cabin steward twice through the entire cruise. He did mention the first day most of his rooms were on the other side of the ship.
Understaffed. The staff was not rude just mostly not available, overwhelmed and improperly trained.

It is a big ship with many options. But be prepared to pay for options too. My feeling is sometimes big is too big if your are not trained, staffed and prepared to handle large numbers of passengers and changing weather.