Clean Ship

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Nieuw Amsterdam

14 Night Tropical Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)

Sail date: November 23, 2019

Ship: Nieuw Amsterdam

Cabin type: Oceanview

Cabin number: 1047

Traveled as: Family (young children)

Review summary

All already said. Really, I can’t submit without 50 characters? Okay, cut and paste coming. I was expecting more. There wasn’t enough for picky eaters. The pizza left much to be desired. The wait staff in the main dining room was not up to par, but perhaps it’s because they mostly cater to an older crowd. We had our kids and grandkids and the wait was horrific and too much for young kids. We did try to get their food first, but only happened once. I told the waiter first thing that if they don’t put the kids orders in first and get them in reasonable time, all these tables around us will not have a good dining experience. That worked, but it was the last evening when we had charge of the grandkids and the parents had a specialty dinner planned. The buffet didn’t have enough variety either. They were great on Sushi and Asian, if you eat that. It was all clean though and the wait staff at the buffet was awesome, no matter when we were there and no matter how messy the kids were, which the baby spilled something every day! I must say, the Thanksgiving Turkey on the buffet was the best turkey I ever had. They did us right for this day. The dining room was a zoo, so just couldn’t put the kids through that and to my surprise, they rocked the day with their Tday buffet.

Embarkation

Ship experiences

Not much going on for young people. Our kids, under 2, 5 and 7, were a challenge to keep occupied. There is a kids club, but we didn’t want them there all the time. Of course it was only open at times and being the grandparents, not sure what those times were, so can’t comment further. Only thing for kids was basketball, but they were too small, so it was soccer for us, and ping pong. Besides that, it was the hot tub that helped give them activity.

The few shows were good. We didn’t do the Microsoft workshop or lectures, even with no kids, none of us would likely do that. There just wasn’t all I was expecting for an area named Music Row.

Kids were bored, but they liked the kids club, but on other cruises, they bug to go there much more.

Dining room, terribly slow. Room steward was great and all other areas, staff was great.

I must say, it was a challenge to find trash bins, but yet, it was an extremely clean ship. The men’s room, my husband couldn’t believe how clean they stayed. No trashed room service trays aligning the halls as all other ships on other cruise lines.

Very happy with the cabin size and comfort.

Ship tip

Not for the young or young at heart, sorry, but true, unless you just want to really relax and read books, etc, then fine for you. My 84 year old mother would be bored.

Ports of call

Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida Did not visit port

This is my hometown.

Key West, Florida

Enjoyed but didn’t do excursions as it’s only hours from our home and we’ve been there.

Grand Turk Island

Enjoyed Margaritaville pool.

Amber Cove (Puerto Plata), Dominican Republic

The Ocean World day pass is a must do, especially if you have children. It was the highlight of the cruise.

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)

Enjoyed this area so very much! The food was very good.

Disembarkation

Customs held us up some, not ship’s fault, but letting us wait in the cabin was a real win with kids.