Nieuw Amersterdam, a ship of dreams

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

7 Night Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)
Sail Date: December 13, 2015
Ship: Nieuw Amsterdam
Cabin Type: Suite

I am an older traveler who took my two adult daughters and my 8 year old grandson on a week long trip to the Western Caribbean the week before Christmas.  The ship was decorated beautifully for Christmas.  Poinsettias were everywhere including our room.  We were in the Neptune Suite and I felt that we were treated like royalty.

My oldest daughter and her son had never been on a Holland American Cruise and she was were very leery about how entertained her son would be.  Well, he loved club Hal.  Even though there was only 32 children onboard, he managed to meet most of them.   He and his mother are Disney cruise fans, but after the cruise he said that he felt that the Nieuw Amersterdam was right up there with Disney.

I really appreciated the electronic upgrades, the new flat screen Ultra HD tv was especially liked by my grandson.  The room was beautiful and all the suite amenities such as laundry, high tea every afternoon, and of course, the excellent service of the two concierges in the Neptune Lounge.

The food was also its usual high standard of excellence.  The ice cream was rated 5 star by my grandson since it was hand-dipped served in a waffle cone.  Our breakfasts in the Pinnacle restaurant were wonderful and such a special treat.

All and all, the cruise destinations were all special too but the ship itself was a great destination and a respite.  We all enjoyed it immensely......Gloria Carvey

Loved the new TV, Bose Radio, and the movie selections