MSC Musica Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

Adequate cruise

Sail Date: April 01, 2007

Traveled As: Family w/young children

The ship itself was very nice and very clean. I was disappointed that you had to pay for a lot of what they offered. For example, they had a Gelato bar, but you had to pay for it (on Caribbean cruises they have a 24 x 7 ice cream machine, so the kids were disappointed). You could only get juice with breakfast; the rest of the time you had to pay for it (on Caribbean cruises they always have something other than water and coffee to drink with your meal that you don't have to pay for). The food wasn't very flavorful, but I'm used to the fanastic meals that are on the Caribbean cruises. The dining room wait staff weren't friendly, unlike what you find on the Caribbean cruises. The itinerary was excellent. I liked the fruit bowl the replenished every night. The English movie channel didn't work on this particular ship. Our kids didn't attend the kids program because no one spoke English. To use the exercise facilities, you had to pay extra, which you don't have to do on the Caribbean cruises. The 2nd seating for dinner was too late. It was at 9:15pm. The buffet dining room closed at 2:30, so there is quite a long time between meals if you are 2nd seating. They did have a tea and cookie hour, but we were typically not getting back on the ship until after the tea and cookie hour had closed, so we had to buy snacks to tie us over until dinner. Overall, I rated the cruise as adequate, because even though I've listed some cons, I felt very safe, the rooms were clean, etc.

Pros: The shows

Cons: Food was not what I expected and the dining room staff weren't very friendly

Recommends MSC Musica? Yes!

I didn't care for the flavors of the food, there wasn't a variety each day on the buffet, and the 2nd seating was too late at 9:15pm.
A few of the staff were friendly and helpful, but the dining room wait staff wasn't, so I averaged the rating.
Barcelona, Spain
The street performers were neat. The cathedral (don't recall the name) that Gaudi hadn't finished was beautiful. Again, we walked the city, so just in general the architecture, cathedrals, etc. were beautiful.
Marseille (Provence), France
We walked the city. The palace the is now the Museum of Natural History and Art was great. Don't recall the pastry shops we went to, but make sure to have the Croque Masseur and a Crepe (we liked it with Chocolate and Bananas).
Palermo, Sicily
We hired a taxi driver who took us to different points of Palermo. There was a park (unfortunately, I don't recall the name of it) he took us to that had a very unique Tree. The Gelato was excellent as well.
Tunis, Tunisia
We hire a taxi driver who took us to different points of Tunis. The blue and white city was beautiful. Didn't really go to any specific sites. More just rode around and looked at the views. Beautiful place!
Palma De Mallorca, Balearic Islands
We just walked around the town and unfortunately, the one cathedral was closed and it rained, so I can't really give a good review of the town.
Naples, Italy
Didn't get to see much of Naples because we got on the ship at this point, but what I did see, I wasn't impressed with. Traffic was horrible. I would have been scared to be walking on the streets.