MSC Divina Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Second Mate

Trying but not there yet.

Sail Date: July 30, 2016

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Overall, for a first time cruiser, I think you will enjoy it. I liked it because I simply love cruising and I make the very best of my sea days, my balcony, and my vacation time. MSC is new to year round Caribbean trips from Miami and as they get better I think they will be a fierce competitor. Right now, I think they cater more to Europeans as I felt speaking English that I was in the minority. If you are thinking of taking a cruise with MSC, try it, have a different mindset, and relax. My children sailed for FREE which was a major selling point for me as well as the itinerary locations. Since I have cruised 4 other cruise lines, my expectations are different. However, if I am given the right price, my children sail for free, and they make improvements in the food, service, and entertainment, I will definitely sail will MSC again.

Cruise Photos

I loved our cabin steward Imade Putra (from Indonesia) as he was attentive to our every need and wants. He was also very conversational.
short and sweet
The ship itself is absolutely gorgeous. You can appreciate the Italian design throughout the ship. However, the ship is poorly maintained(cleanliness). Either they need to hire more staff or they need additional training on how to maintain high traffic areas especially along the pool deck and the deck 15 restrooms near the kids club. I even saw mold growing along the bathroom sink.
I loved, loved, loved, the locations. Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, and the Bahamas. My only concern, they do not spend much time in the ports as other cruise lines. The most time in port was spent in Miami, not that is a bad thing.
They had some of the usual entertainment onboard, but not the typical get the crowd roaring and inspiring activities that usually occur in the lounges and big theaters during the day. I also was shocked to see children in the nightly bars and lounges.
My 2 children loved it. As a parent, I was concerned about the tracking system. The good thing, they will entertain children until 11pm which is an hour longer than the cruise industry standard. They will also entertain and engage them while you are taking a tour in port free of charge. No more, crying and whining "can we go now?"
The nightly shows in the theater were the ABSOLUTE BEST. I totally enjoyed 5 out of the 7 shows. I missed one show and left early from another because it was not for me; however, the Mask, the Witches, the Pirates, and the Michael Jackson show were OVER-THE-TOP. There were NO nightly comedy shows as there were soo many passengers that spoke different languages on the ship so MSC does not do comedy shows, sad face:(.
I think MSC caters to the European market which is okay if that is their target market. I think they have some growing to do to target the American Cruiser. Having been on 4 different cruise lines, I am accustomed to over-the-top service and I did not receive that from the MSC Divina. I also think you get better service if you can speak a language other than English. I speak English and Spanish. For example, a guest service rep was more friendly to me when she found out I spoke Spanish. Overall, the service was not bad, but the staff was not as attentive as I was expecting them to be. I did however receive OUTSTANDING service from Victoria Chakwenya (from Zimbabwee) in guest services as she always had a smile, she was very helpful, she was lively, and made me feel very at ease each time I had a question. She was TOTALLY AWESOME.
There were only 2 venues for complimentary dining: the dinning room and the buffet. The buffet was okay, but the overcooked fries and turkey burgers were a turn off for me. I did love the authentic pizza. The dining room gave rise to more variety and taste although I did have a steak dinner that was too tough. Overall, I was not totally displeased, but there was room for improvement. I need to mention there is no 24hr food available, but hey that's a good thing so you can leave a little less heavier. There is a charge for room service if you DO NOT purchase the Fantastica Experience or higher. There is a delivery charge after 11pm; however, the number gets busy from 10:20pm till 11pm, then amazingly the number is not busy anymore when the delivery charge applies. Not sure if that was on purpose or supply and demand.

Since they don't spend much time in port, book your excursions through the cruise line so they will wait for you if you are late; or know exactly what you want to do off the ship so you can return before the ship leaves