Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Nice time with family

Sail Date: February 25, 2011

This was our first cruise as a family. My husband and I both had been on a cruise previously but that was about 20 years ago and we were much younger and not together yet. We have two children a son 10 and a daughter 12. My son loved the childrens room but mainly b/c they had a computer and video games. My daughter went to the "teen" meeting once but was not overly thrilled with it. There was a lot of college age kids it seemed drinking a lot, etc. So to me it seemed more of a party atmosphere than a family atmosphere. The service on the ship was outstanding and the food was wonderful. In the BAhamas we opted to go to Atlantis thinking that would be great for the family to do. We only had from 12:30 and the last bus back to the ship was at 5:30 after that you had to take a taxi. All the shops close at 5:30 in Bahamas so we decided to head back around 4:30 in order to buy some souveniors. So really four hours at Atlantis was not really enough time at all. We did thoroughly enjoy our time in Cococay the next day. I think I woudl've been fine just going there.

Pros: I liked our dining room experience the best - and Cococay!

Cons: I think this cruise was more for younger people (college age).

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

Definitly one of the older ships, dated interior.
Cramped quarters for the four of us so next time I def think we'll upgrade a bit. But honestly, you don't spend much time in your room except for changing and sleeping.
We only got to see one show and it was pretty good. There was a lot of Bingo playing.
Our server, Efren, was wonderful! The selection and the taste of the food was excellent!
Everyone was at your beck and call, ready to help in any way they could.
I don't think it's worth it to go to Atlantis just for the few hours so def find something else to do on the island. The shopping was okay.
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
Loved Cococay! I could've just went there. Everything you could possibly want to do there was there. We did the water park, water slide, nature walk and just hung out on the beach. We also visited their Straw Market. That was a little pricey.
Don't Miss: The beach of course.