Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

A good weekend getaway

Sail Date: June 12, 2009

As a seasoned cruiser with NCL and Carnival, I had heard great things about RCL. We were excited to take this weekend jaunt to the Bahamas and expected a great weekend (we took an identical itinerary with NCL in January). For the $$ we spent to leave from Port Canaveral, I would now drive to Miami to take the NCL Sky as opposed to this particular boat. We loved the private island and our excursion to Blackbeards Beach in Nassau was great. However, the beds in our room were so hard that I woke up each day sore and one day with a headache. We also were disappointed in the menu in the dining room and the portion sizes. For the first cruise ever, I came home 2 lbs. less than when I went (LOL). The staff were friendly and accomodating and there were few lines for anything we did although I was told the boat was full. The boarding and debarking exercises went smoothly and we were off the boat in port as well as at debarkation earlier than anticipated each time (a big plus). The time in Nassau was the perfect arrival time at 11 a.m. which left you the morning to enjoy the boat in daylight hours. The length of stay in Nassau also enabled you to enjoy Senor Frogs (good food, good drinks) after your excursion.

Pros: The ports of call

Cons: The beds in the room

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? No.

Take the trip to Blackbeards Beach. It's a good value and the trip on the boat there is enjoyable (and short). The island itself was a lot of fun. Bring a bottled water with you as the "free" fruit punch is about 8 oz.
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
I loved this private island and prefereed it to NCL's private island just across the water. The lunch on the island was one of the better lunches. The beaches are laid out so you don't feel like the entire boat is lounging in chairs near you. There are plenty of hammocks, people, so don't bother running to "save" yourself one.
Don't Miss: The kids beach area with the climbing wall and other water activities was a lot of fun.