Disappointing for a first time cruiser—will not be cruising in the future

Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Mariner of the Seas

3 Night Bahamas (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail date: June 21, 2019

Ship: Mariner of the Seas

Cabin number: 9517

Traveled as: Family (young children)

Review summary

I was very disappointed. I had been looking forward to this cruise for six months, and I left the ship in tears. I was expecting a much better experience. This was my first and last cruise. I am deeply saddened that I wasted so much money on these cruise tickets. I never want to cruise again.

Embarkation

Not good. I was unaware that it would take 4 hours for luggage delivery. We were tire from traveling to the port and wanted to relax by the pool. However, we could only wait around in our cabin until our luggage arrived—then our vacation could begin.

Ship experiences

The food was just okay. There were some nights where the food was downright inedible. I was not impressed.

Pools were okay. I thought they were very small for the amount of people onboard. They were very crowed. You couldn’t swim without bumping into someone.

Entertainment was okay. Many of the DJs and performers were very good. Although, some acts were very cheesy

The customer service was excellent. No complaints there. I think the cruise line should put more effort into keeping families together. Many of the ship’s staff work very hard and they haven’t seen their families in 6 months or more. I find that unacceptable. I felt I was unknowingly participating in an organizational exploitation of workers. It broke my heart that workers, particularly mothers of young children, were unable to see their kids for such long periods of time. The industry is taking advantage of their workers and it is abhorrent.

The ship was pretty clean. However, there were a lot of tables and common areas on deck that were not bused for long periods of time.

Cabin was always clean. Housekeeping did a great job.

Ship tip

Bring your own soda because you will get price gauged if you want to buy on the boat.

Ports of call

Port Canaveral, Florida

It was pretty easy to get through the port.

The beaches were a 30 minute walk from the port. There were no clear directions to get to the beach and we had to rely on the goodness of strangers to make sure we were going in the right direction. We had to pay extra for beach chairs and umbrellas which we thought would be provided in the cost of the cruise. The beaches had broken glass in the sand, the bathrooms were dirty and had rusty nails lying on the ground. The beach we were directed to had a construction site next to it which blew a lot of dust and debris onto our beach area. In addition, we were not permitted to fill up our water bottles which we brought with us. We left the beaches early to avoid dehydration and water price gauging water.

Perfect Day At Coco Cay, Bahamas

This was the best part of the trip. I wish we had just stayed here for two days.

Disembarkation