Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

Least favorite cruise taken

Sail Date: October 02, 2010

As a general rule my husband and I have been avid cruisers (4th or 5th cruise). I've always raved that it is the most cost-efficient way to luxury vacation. Not anymore. I was highly disappointed in that from the moment we boarded the ship (Jewel of the Seas) we were baraged with "buy this, buy that mantra", "for extra money you can finer dine", "now water and pop is an extra charge", way over-priced excursions that are less than interesting. The ship was beautiful but I even noticed the change in it as well. I did not see any of the beautiful live floral arrangements that I saw in the prior Royal Carribean cruises. While our cabin steward was certainly adequate, not as our prior experiences. i.e.; only 1 little towel creature on our bed in the entire 7-day cruise. The food in the dining room was o.k. not as fabulous as in past years. A step above buffet-quality. On the positive side, entertainment exceeded our expectations. The ships staff that conducted the daily activities was WONDERFUL.

Pros: loved our room with a balcony

Cons: uninteresting excursions, hidden costs,

Recommends Jewel of the Seas? Yes!

Very disappointed in the quality of the food. I expected and received buffet-quality in the Windjammer. However, the evening meal in the dining room wasn't much better. Big disappoinment.
Jewel of the Seas is a large ship. Elevators were slow and not adequate for that size of ship. But the stairs were comfortable.
Really enjoyed our room. The design, cleanliness, balcony, everything was perfect.
The ship staff made this cruise enjoyable for us. The people that conducted the daily activities were very, very good (Elise deserves mentioning). So delightful and pleasing. Specifically enjoyed the cruise director. He far exceeded our expectations. Since the rules is not to mention names, please note the cruise director for the Jewel of the Seas for October 2-9, 2011. He deserves all the commendations you offer.
Enjoyed the quality and variety.
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Again used the hop on, hop off bus. While it was a bit better than Saint John, it was just another large town. Not what I'd expected in a port of call. Excursions way overpriced and many people commented the same sentiments.
Don't Miss: probably the park. It was lovely.
Bar Harbor, Maine
Again we rented a car and took off on our own. Noteworthy is Enterprise will come and pick up at the ship. Toured Arcadia National Park, etc. Another fun day.
Don't Miss: using Enterprise rent a car and the gal that picked us up was the Best tour guide.
Portland, Maine
After looking at the excursions, we opted to rent a car and drove to the Fryeburg Fair in Fryeburg, MA. We had a wonderful time. The drive in and out of the towns were more than picturesque. You should consider at least mentioning it.
Saint John, New Brunswick
Found this port a total disappointment. However the hop on, hop off bus was the best way to go.
Don't Miss: I couldn't say anything about this port.