Independence of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Great ship and service

Sail Date: November 07, 2015

Really enjoyed the Independence of the Sea. The ship has endless first class amenities. Our room looked down on the Promenade and was a great location. I was concerned noise may have been a factor but other than a couple of parade events that we attended we never heard a peep. The food was great and staff could not do enough for us. One day my wife was feeling off so I went ahead to breakfast on my own. I mentioned this to the waiter and he went and selected so fresh fruit off the buffet to bring back to her. On another occasion I was at a bar and asked if they served coffee there as well. He said no, and I thought no more of it. A minute later another waiter delivered a coffee with cream and sugar on the side...this was totally unexpected. As travelers know....its the little things that make the big difference!

The one major disappointment was that my booking through included $50 on board account credit which did not come through. I invested some vaction time trying to get this sorted out with guest services. The assured me the issue is on  end which I know need to invest more time into follow up. Takes the shine off a really good thing, hate when commitments are not kept.

Great room for the price, the extra balcony window over the promenade gave us a little extra space which was noticeable.
The only thing I can complain about with RC. Embarkation took 2.5hrs (unacceptable). Disembark - was disorganized , first they change the program, then they created a meeting place that was hard to find with only one route to get to. Then they corralled us through a crazy maze of tables and chairs and around the ship ...when you think you are close then you need to get on one elevator that was not on service so we waited like normal and finally off through customs which was the best park of disembarkation if you can believe it. Really took the shine off a good thing!
Enjoyed the comedy acts best
Exceeded expectations!
Enjoyed every meal. Both the King Lear dining room and the self serve Windjammer were excellent.
Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida
Belize City, Belize
While I did not leave the ship the idea of having to twice lining up/wait to "tender" (get on another boat to get to shore) then a 45 minute boat ride each way is unacceptable to me. That's somewhere between 2 to 3 hours of wasted vacation time.

As mentioned we cancelled our excursions because my wife was not feeling well. As a result I leaned that there is no need to leave the ship. So my tip is, do not feel you need to take excursions to have a great time on this cruise. Our most enjoyable days were the excursion days, very quiet on deck.

1 Comment