Harmony of the Seas- MegaShip with Mega Issues

Harmony of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Cruises: 4-6 cruises

Overall rating:

Harmony of the Seas

7 Night Eastern Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)

Sail date: March 03, 2019

Ship: Harmony of the Seas

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 8662

Traveled as: Family (young children)

Review summary

When you plan and save for a high dollar, 7-night family vacation aboard one of the largest ships in the world, you have high expectations. You don't envision your plans and activities being altered because members of your group are quarantined to their room because of uncontrollable vomiting and diarrhea. Leaving the rest of us to try to have fun while worrying and caring for them. My father had to stay around the clock with my mom because she couldn't even leave the bed. My daughter missed meals, shows, activities, and memories with her grandparents because of sickness. My hubby spent 1.5 days in the room sick. He didn't visit the dr because we had medications to treat him with us. My parents and my husband missed the signature dining experience we had booked because of the Norovirus. We had to constantly watch our charge accounts for things we didn't purchase. Frustrated that I couldn't get the photos to download that I purchased while on board and we had even paid for the internet and all digital photo package. Even more frustrated when we got dressed up and then realized no pictures were being taken on the last night. I truly need a vacation to recoup from this trip. Not sure cruising will be in our plans in the future.

Embarkation

Things started off great! We printed all of our documents ahead of time and were on board the ship in time for lunch!

Ship experiences

Main dining was just okay. The menu was very repetitive with limited variety. We had a great waitress and assistant. But the food just wasn't over the top. Baked Alaska wasn't "lit" at the table; Molten Chocolate Cake was overcooked and didn't have the famous warm gooey chocolate inside. Specialty Dining was wonderful. Some of the best food ever! We had a complimentary dinner and that is the only reason we were able to go there. My family wouldn't have been able to swing the expense otherwise. I booked this special dinner for the last night, however me and my daughter was only able to go because everyone else was in the room sick. Buffets are my favorite place for breakfast and often lunch. A good variety. Absolutely adore the Handwashing Stations. I only wish it would have been enough to keep my Mom and Hubby from getting the Norovirus OnBoard!

Loved the multiple pools and loved the fact that they had the lounge areas with shallow water! I got a small injury on the Abyss Slide even though I followed the clothing requirement and rules. My left arm received a nasty little burn from coming down the dry slide. I was looking forward to the Spa and my hubby even won a $100 gift certificate. Not the best massage but it was okay. However, afterward everything turned into a sales pitch. All they wanted to do was sell us more products. The same thing happened at the Spa Tour. And, after doing the Body Scan with my mom for $100, it all was about spending more money, to the tune of $500 - $1000 for their diet products. It was evident it was all about making a dollar.

Grease was really good! However, there were a few scenes that I don't remember being as "sexually driven" as in the movie. There were a few parts that I wish my 11-year daughter hadn't been exposed to. Fine Line Outdoor Show was amazing!

She really liked it when I was able to get her to go.

Our Waiters, Room Stewards were awesome! Friendly, helpful, and seemed to love their job!

The ship was incredible! Our cabin was great! The décor was great! So huge and impressive. Everything looked in tip top shape!! However, I have to rate the ship POOR because of the facts. You have to really wonder how clean things are when members of your travel party get the Norovirus! And, after my mother who had been having uncontrollable vomiting and diarrhea was taken thru the main areas and down the regular elevator to get the doctor on 2 occasions, it makes you wonder how they control exposure to gastrointestinal illness.

Loved our cabin! Plenty of storage. Loved the balcony. Two thumbs up there! Great view, and extremely accessible to the elevator and Central Park.

Ship tip

Rethink the megaship. If you are looking for a relaxing cruise, this one is not for you. Too much going on, too big, and too overwhelming.

Ports of call

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Easy access to the beach, nice boardwalk. Felt safe walking around with the exception of the bathrooms that were often down long secluded alleys. Did not do an excursion. Have no desire to go back.

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Easy access to the area to catch the bus. We did an excursion to the Vivo Beach Club. They offered everyone free beer upon arrival, however, no one in my party drinks alcohol but we weren't offered an alternative. Not crowded there, we were the only cruise ship. Not a fine of the lunch provided. Beach was okay, free chairs. Still looking for the white sands and blue water though. No desire to go back.

Labadee (Cruise Line Private Island)

Very accessible to leave the boat. Water appeared pretty along the rocky side of the beach. We visited cove side. Thought the water would be great for snorkeling there, but it was very cloud. Definitely not the white sands and blue water I was hoping for. Lunch was not great. Flys were everywhere and on the food. Did not feel safe in the straw market areas at all!! Definitely didn't feel like this was a private island!! A truly uneasy experience. Do not plan to ever visit Hatti again.

Disembarkation

We were assigned to leave at 8:15. Our luggage was there and ready. However, my parents, was not. My mom had been quarantined to the room and no one bothered to tell us here luggage would be the last to leave the boat. So even though we were told it would be an hour for hers to be ready. Also, once we got off the boat additional charges were place on my ShipandSail Card. Luckily i found a security guard who was willing to escort me back on the boat to get the $75 charge removed.