Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Third Mate

There is nothing Grand about Grandeur of the Seas!

Sail Date: January 16, 2016

First things first - The ship is old and is showing it's age - the ship is small and feels like it looks. Secondly the age of the majority of passengers looked to be 65+ and the entertainment is geared mostly towards that demographic.I would not recommend this ship to anyone who is under 65 years old, traveling with children or who is not Caucasian. There were very few minority passengers of any kind aboard. If you are looking for diversity while cruising, then this ship in January is not for you.

Staterooms: My roll call did a cabin crawl and this was a lot of fun! We  saw different categories of staterooms throughout the ship. The inside staterooms are extremely small. I would not recommend them although I only use my room to sleep and change. The insides are too small to do those two things comfortably. The large interior cabins are a better but I had a room under the Casino and although there was no noise the air quality a terrible. I awoke every night coughing which means the air filters were not keeping out the smoke. The shower constantly flooded the bathroom floor and there was black mold in the corner on the the carpet outside of the bathroom! There was ample closet and storage space. The Large ocean view stateroom I toured was  nice  and roomy. I will get an ocean view room for my next cruise. The Junior suites with balcony are really nice - they have a living room, steam shower and tub - I will save towards that category for a future cruise. The Royal Suite of which there is only one on the ship is a traveler's dream! It has a living and dining room with a bar and a grand piano, a full bedroom with his and hers closets, and a luxury bathroom with a large tub and steam shower. I won't be staying in one of these unless I hit the lottery.

Dining:The food in all of the venues was of poor quality until we reached Port Canaveral and restocked. The Dining Room food improved greatly after this but the Windjammer was just garbage. I've sailed on a ship smaller than Grandeur but the buffet was not as small and the menu was more varied. I ate only hamburgers there for several days. I don't usually eat beef but this was the only thing edible along with  green salads (it's hard to mess up lettuce). The servers in the dining room and windjammer made up for the inferior food quality. The service was impeccable! Getting to know my dining room team is always a highlight of my cruise. The alcoholic drinks were extremely weak (I rarely drink and they were weak to me so you know how weak they were!) The iced tea, lemonade, orange juice and apple juice were all watered down.

Entertainment was mediocre at best - as i said - not a lot of diversity and entertainment geared towards those 65+.

Itinerary: Port Canaveral is dead unless you go on a pricey excursion. I went to Kennedy Space Center. The tour is $84.00 which includes transportation to and from the center, the price of admission and a private tour guide. Those tours to Disney and Universal are not worth it in my own opinion due to the few hours you get to spend there. Nassau is unsafe after dark and the ship stays there until 9:30pm. You don't dock until 1:30pm and if you take a tour you miss the shops as they close at 5:30pm. I enjoyed Coco Cay except that I was unable to do my excursion of jet skiing as I purchased a ticket as a passenger only. The advertisement for the excursion made it look as if they had guides to take you as a passenger - but you had to have your own driver with you.They did refund my money. Lines were long and confusing for the Island BBQ and again the watered down beverages. Key West was wonderful! I did the hop on hop off tour (purchased on Groupon) and enjoyed learning about the history of the Island. The ship leaves at 4:30 pm which is not enough time to enjoy the island. I hope to go there in the future to stay a week. I enjoyed all of the tours despite the time restrictions.

I will go on another cruise with Royal Caribbean but never again on Grandeur of the Seas.

Cruise Photos

Long lines for Embarkation but it went smoothly. Disorganized disembarkation. It felt as if they were saying "We have your money now get the Hell out"
The ship is old and shows it's age. I was disappointed the minute I saw the ship in port and even more so once I stepped inside. It was refurbished I believe 5 years ago but not the staterooms.
Good other than the times in port
Geared towards 65+
A lot of activities take place in the Centrum which is too small for the amount of people on the ship. A lot of activities geared towards those 65+.
Dining room/Windjammer staff were excellent. if not for them the cruise would have been a disaster.
The Main Dining Room food was hit or miss. Sometimes excellent. The Windjammer food was garbage. Powdered eggs, salty bacon and watery drinks etc. The Park Cafe was adequate but lacked variety and the many of the staff were unfriendly. get your eggs made to order from Dwayne.

Do not cruise on this ship in January if you are under 65 and enjoy a diversity of cruise passengers.