Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Third Mate

Not a luxury cruise

Sail Date: February 03, 2015

I have been on many cruises and this one was *not* among my favorites.  I was very surprised at the lack of amenities and quality/variety of food.  If you don't like the smell of smoke, this cruise is not for you with a large smoking area just outside the eating area (Windjammer) and smoke permeating the whole casino.  The cruise was delayed because of a virus during the last sailing (understandable) but, even after they let us on they did not seem to be ready for guests for several days, everything being stripped from the rooms and not returned.  I was in a balcony room and had maintenance come to fix a squealing, rattling door that stayed fixed for one day.  The staff did not seem to be trained in all of the jobs they were supposed to do and supervisors seemed disrespectful to some of them.  This seems so out of character for Royal Caribbean, but they seemed to be cutting corners (efficiencies?).  The entertainment was excellent and plentiful and the "my time" seating worked well, so you might enjoy this, but I won't be doing it again.  I really like going out of Baltimore, but I think I will stick with Celebrity, even though I will have to go to Florida.  (We ran into really bad weather on the way home and many people got sick for more than two days - not the cruise line's fault, but pretty miserable).

Ship starting to show its' age and is very unstable in bad weather.
The food was not bad, but also not great and there was little variety. Service at dinner was good, but not at other times of the day.
I am used to great service on cruises, but this service was just OK except for the My Time Seating host - he was really good.
Really very professional, varied and plentiful.
Children's Programs Did not use
I would like to have had educational presentations - not just sales pitches.
I like all of our stops - Haiti, San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Martin. I would like a cruise that was longer and allowed more time in some of these places.
Overall aging, bad mattress, ill-fitting, noisy doors, but nice amount of room. No stocked mini bar or ice, no hand lotion or other amenities. Very clean.
Baltimore, Maryland
Very convenient, easy access, fast on and off ship.
Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)
Easy access to beach and chairs.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Docking location very convenient for sightseeing and local activities - one of my favorites
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Shopping, of course - easy access.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
A favorite - beautiful, friendly, good tours, beach nearby.

I usually have a balcony room for privacy and fresh air, but on this ship there are only two decks at the very top and in bad weather it is *very* rough so that sleeping is hard (or "sickening"). Middle of the ship with outside room on deck 3 or 4 might be better. Don't count on hand lotion, etc.