Grand Princess Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Suggesstion for the Future

Sail Date: May 11, 2016

The food was good, but the cleanness was bad. The food crew were not washing their hands after collecting the dirty dishes, towels, and cups, which were contaminated with sick people. There were also some sick food crew serving the people.

To: PRINCESS Cruises Customer Relations Manager
From: Emily Marzouk
State Room : P223
Reference Nr. P223-51
Date: 05/21/2016
I was surprised and astonished by the very inconvenience and made my brother sick during the 10 days vacation cruise at the Grand Princess. These are the details:
1st day, 05/11/16, our two twin beds were too soft. We could not sleep comfortably during that first night. We asked the house keeper for our room to check the beds, correct the problem, and to replace the mattresses with a firm one.
2nd day, 05/12/16, the room server put two bed pads on each bed, but the pad on my twin bed was much bigger than the twin mattress. The two beds were still too soft, but my bed pad kept sliding, and made me fall off the bed during asleep. We complained to the house keeper and the main disk about 1:30 IN THE MORNING. The person at the main desk asked us if I would you like the beds to be fixed now? We told her that, it will make no deference now, because once we wake up during the night, it is very hard to get back to sleep; you can do it in the morning.
3rd day, 06/13/16, in the morning, the housekeeping’s supervisor came in with other person and removed the blanket and the bed pad. I saw some bed pads were stuffed in the middle of the my mattress, which he removed them; and I saw two big round dents in the middle of the mattress. The housekeeping’s supervisor removed the mattress completely and replaced it with other mattress.
4th day, 05/14/16, my mattress was too soft, but my brother’s mattress was firm. We asked the house keeper to fixe my bed the same way he fixed the other bed and he fixed it.
Why it took the house keeper and his supervisor 3 days to fix the problem?
My suggestion is that, after each some days cruise, the house keeper should check each bed for dents or broken springs and replaces the mattress not to fill the dent mattress with pads.
Dear Customer Service Representative,
I was shopping in Ketchikan, It was very windy, rainy, and cold. When I cam to get on board to the ship after shopping, I expected to go directly to the ship without delay, but the security guard down there, stopped me from going up to the ship, because a Handicap is coming down from the ship. I am over 74 years old, and I was so cold in addition to the rain and wind. I hide myself in between two younger ladies to protect me from the wind. I was waiting patiently until the handicap came down. Unfortunately, the Security guard kept stopping me from going up to the ship until more Handicaps came down. The Security Guard kept asking the Other Security on board to bring more and more Handicaps down, and he did not care about people waiting in the wind, cold and rain. I was very upset.
My recommendation is to assign one exit specially for the Handicaps, and other for people to board the ship
You have a sign in the bath room stated “wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds” while some of your automatic supply faucets cut the water off every 3 seconds. The restroom’s automatic faucets should be checked by the custodians each time he cleans the bathroom and records in a log by his signature, and if there is a problem he should call maintenance.
My Handicap brother went to the handicap restroom next to Vista Lounge. The lock door of the bathroom does turn, but does not lock. A lady came and opened the door on him, while he was sitting on the toilette. He reported on the last day we were leaving to the main desk supervisor, Mr. Salvio
My brother came to princess to have a good vacation and relax, not to get sick for 4 days and uncomfortable sleeping for 3 days and give you a lecture about what was wrong with the Princess
Food Services,
My brother noticed that the busboy who served him touched his nose. He talked to me and said “I do not think this busboy was sick”. I looked at him again, I found that the bottom of his nose and above his mouth area were red, and he still wiping his nose with the back of his hand, and served people, set up tables brought drinks and water and collected dirty dishes from the tables .
Next morning, he woke up with pain in the throat. He stayed indoor drinking hot water and lemons. When his condition got worth, I gave him Vicks (Nyquil) from over the counter medication as recommended by the front desk after I asked them for some medication for the cold. When his condition did not improve, He went to the food services supervisor( Mr. Yalcin) and complained about what he saw that the sick busboy and he told him that sick busboys should not be serving people ., and they should be out . He advised him to go to the medical department on the 4th floor and see a doctor. I accompanied him to the 4th floor and talk to the receptionist. My brother asked him to see a doctor, and then the receptionist told my brother “there is a $95.00 charge. My brother told him that he got sick from Princess Employees in the Horizon food court on the Lido floor when the sick busboy serviced him. The receptionist said “IT is impossible to prove it and you have to pay”. He left very upset and complained to the service main desk supervisor, Mr. Salvio.
My brother went back to his room to rest and drank plenty of hot water with Lemon.
Next day, I went with my brother to the Horizon food court on the 14th floor for lunch, and this is what he saw:
The Busboy who set the table and served drinks, also collected dirty dishes and towels at the same time. He also, collected dirty dishes from one table and set table and drinks without washing his hands. There is a lot of sick customers were eating. Contaminated dirty dishes and towels can easily contaminate the hands of the busboy, which easily transfer unintentionally the bacteria to the clean towels, silverwares and drinks.
To solve this problem, the busboy who serves customer with drinks and set up tables cannot collect dirty dishes. The busboy who serves drinks cannot take a used coffee cup from a customer for refill. He needs to bring him a clean refill cup. By doing so, you will reduce the transfer bacteria from one person to another and reduce the spread of the bacteria all over the ship