Grand Princess Cruise Review to Hawaii

Family cruise to Hawaii

Sail Date: April 02, 2016

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Room Type: Suite

I loved the sea days.  This came as a surprise to me.  I had never been between ports for more than two days.  There are many great lounges and decks where you can relax on the Grand Princess.  I enjoyed most

Because there were few children the grand kids had the pools and hot tubs virtually to themselves.  They spent hours daily at the pool.  The fitness center and adult pool and sauna were great.  I exercised and used the aduit pool and sauna 10 days.  In spite of eating everything in site I gained only 4 pounds in 15 days

Overall we all loved the cruise.  I might take it again.  Not sure it would be on this ship or on Princess for that matter.

Loved the bathroom and closet area. Had the grand kids over for a sleep over. Plenty of room.
Dealt with stupid an inflexible people on embarkation. Split our party would not allow us to go on together. Only cruise that I don't have a picture of our party leaving port.
Needs help. It is showing its age. Dining room set up on deck six is difficult. For our dining room you had to go up to 7 and then walk back down to 6. Elevator was out a number of times and people in wheelchairs could not get to their dining room.
Did any use any excursions on the ship. I thought the cost was insane. We booked a private van for the day on Hilo for less than half what Princess charges.
Activities were adequate. Many good current movies were shown.
Not enough children on the ship to require an extensive children's program. My grand kids went to childrens center a couple of times.
The usual cruise entertainment. They did have a good comedian and one terrific trumpeter.
Dining room waiter was wonderful. Took very good care of two young children. Cabin steward was good, but I have had better.
The food was good not outstanding. Much better on Celebrity. Dining options for breakfast very limited unless you are ready before 9:00am.
San Francisco, California
Hilo, Hawaii
Saw many great sights on a private tour from a local.
Honolulu, Oahu
Much like home. Too much traffic and noise. Beautiful beach if you can find a place to put a towel.
Nawiliwili, Kauai
Great beach and resort near pier where ship docks.
Lahaina, Maui
Easy bus to Kanapali beach.
Ensenada, Mexico
Waste of time. I know they need a foreign port, but they should find another. We landed at 4:00pm and sailed at 8:00pm. Our dinner was at 5:30pm. Talk about lousy planning.

Be prepared to dodge electric wheelchairs, walkers, and canes. This was the most geriatric cruise I have ever been on. In talking with crew members this is routine for this ship when it sails from SF.
Don't expect luxury. Ship needs help. Looks like it was once spectacular but now it is just old