Grand Princess Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Weather good! But had our ups and downs

Sail Date: February 10, 2007

We were disappointed overall. We thought Princess Cruise Line was supposed to be a Premier Cruise Line, as told to us by our booking agent. The main dining menus were poor and every night at dinner, atleast 2-3 of us at the table could not or would not eat the majority of our meals. We did not discuss this amoung ourselves, but by the last night, everyone did agree it was a disappointment. The wait staff were up and down regarding their service. Overall good, but dining is one of the main reasons you cruise. I should say the same thing for the entertainment and service. We tried to look past these things but were just reminded of the overall lack of curteosy and service upon encountering yet again one more open debate or gripe fest by the crew or staff. I think the reason we experienced such bad service by the bar staff, wait staff and anyone else who usually receives their tip at the end of the cruise, is because their tips were automatically added to our bill, I guess they figured if they could hit it once in a while we would do nothing about it. If we had had to confront the Pursers Desk, etc, well honestly that would have just seemed like work and we taking a vacation from that kind of atmosphere, yet here we were facing the same kind of "problems" you encounter everyday on the job. We have had to keep reminding ourselves of the things we did enjoy and try not to dwell on the negatives.

Pros: Experiencing new ports, making some great new friends at our dinner table. That's why we really love to cruise with a traditional style dining system. We have cruised a lot, but out of all of our past cruises, we made the best friends ever. We even went to some of the shows together.

Cons: Food and entertainment. We heard atleast 4 separate occasions where crew members were arguing in the open areas, beginning with when we first got on the ship by the elevators. Back and forth hostile banter between two, then three crew members.More throughout the week. How rude and unprofessional.

Recommends Grand Princess? No.

We always enjoy Cozumel. There are alot of things to do and see. Since we had been here so many times in the past, we just walked around through the middle of town and ate at Pancho's backyard. That was an unexpected $60 lunch, but we had fun.
Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
Loved the day at the beach. The lunch included with our excursion was very poor (everything was cold and hard) but the day itself was wonderful, I even had a beachside massage.
Belize City, Belize
My husband went bottom fishing, loved it, caught 5. I stayed on board and took advantage of the on board spa massage special. Wonderful!! After my husband got back from fishing and cleaned up, we took the tender into Belize City, walked around for about 10-15 minutes because there really wasn't much to see on your own and returned to the ship for a time of reading and relaxing on the Lido Deck shipside.
Belize City, Belize
Majahual, Mexico
We just went into the port area, shopped, ate lunch returned to the ship. It was a fun time. We enjoyed the day. We have never scheduled an excursion here, we just enjoy the simple shopping and dining at this port.
Majahual, Mexico