My first Mediterranean Cruise

Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

Contributor Level: Cruise Director

7 Night Western Mediterranean (Barcelona Roundtrip)
Sail Date: June 04, 2017
Ship: Freedom of the Seas

My favorite part of the cruise was seeing so many amazing places! Our cruise departed from Barcelona, Spain and went to Marseille, France; Villefranche/Nice/Monte Carlo, France; Laspezia/Cinque Terre/Vernazza, Italy; Rome, Italy; Naples, Italy; Sorrento, Italy; then, back to Barcelona for another day and night. We had incredibly beautiful weather EVERY day!

I absolutely LOVE the Freedom of the Seas! However, I feel like it wasn't as sparkling clean as it was when I sailed on her in October 2016. I also noticed some very unfortunate cut-backs in Chops Steakhouse (Specialty Restaurant onboard).

Excellent cabin steward!!! The room was in a great location on deck 10!

We thoroughly enjoyed dining in the Windjammer restaurant! Great selection and the service was outstanding! I would also recommend Chops Steakhouse and Sabor for Specialty Dining.
Don't miss the entertainment on this beautiful ship! The ice show is not to be missed!

We stayed at the H10 Metropolitan hotel pre-cruise and the Olivia Balmes hotel post-cruise. Both hotels were phenomenal! The service at both hotels was unmatched and exceptionally clean! The H10 Metropolitan hotel was a little more centrally located for us. We also did the Hop-on, Hop-off bus tour of Barcelona. Great value and a lot of fun!
Take time to see Old Nice, Nice, and Monte Carlo. They are all so beautiful and we loved the interaction with the French people. They were very kind and eager to help.
Walk to the train and take it to Cinque Terre/Vernazza! It is breathtaking! We climbed up the hillside and took amazing photos! We also ate lunch there under the umbrellas by the water. They had homemade pesto! Loved it!
We walked to the train and got off near Vatican City. Went to the Forum, the Colosseum, and Trevi Fountain. So great to see these awesome places!
We were hoping to go to Capri, but the afternoon shuttle ferry was sold out. So, we opted for walking around the city of Naples for a bit and then taking a ferry shuttle to Sorrento. We had a blast in Sorrento and enjoyed lunch with an incredible view!