Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Not Happy

Sail Date: January 24, 2016

Sailed January 24-31 2016.  The food was never hot in the dinning room because it was so busy and the staff were run off their feet and tried their hardest to make our experience the best they possibly could.  From other ships we sailed the food was definitely downgraded.  The staff are over worked, tired and depend on our gratuities to get paid since the cabin housekeeper, main waiter in dining room and assistant waiter in the dinning room do not get a pay cheque, we the customer pays them through our gratuities.   They are on the ship for 7 or 8 month contracts at a time and during the contract get no days off at all, they work everyday and do not go off the ship.   I seen our assistant waiter working the dining room at night and we had the late supper until 9:30 and she was back in the windjammer buffet running again for breakfast the next morning at 6 a.m. These cruise ships are all about making the $$$, which results in lack of customer service.  In the windjammer it is so busy and lacking staff we were putting our dirty dishes on an empty table beside us. I have changed my outlook on cruising, its hard to enjoy my vacation when these people are being worked so hard to accommodate me.

Our housekeeper was fantastic. We had a promenade cabin and it was roomy, the location was perfect and close to elevators and promenade. The only downfall was the bed was broken down and had a big dip it the mattress, it was not comfortable to sleep in and the pillows were very thin.
could not get a seat, it was so busy
The staff was great, the service was poor due to lack of staff which is not their fault.

Make sure you pay your gratuities since this is the only way the housekeeper and waiters get paid! I think the cruise lines should be obligated to pay their employees a good wage and if the customers leave gratuities it should be a bonus for the staff for their hard work!

1 Comment