Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

A good time was had by all

Sail Date: November 01, 2015

This was a great voyage. Perfect weather, beautiful ship, superb service and a great mix of people onboard.  The cruise director was a dynamo and the entertainment was very entertaining.

So now, if there are any readers who are looking for a negative, I do have a few but none of them are dealbreakers, even added altogether. We'd go on this ship again in a heartbeat.

It's a very large ship with 2 elevator banks. Our cabin was mid-ship so we had to walk a good distance to get to the elevator. Several times, we didn't know whether our destination was forward or back and the only way to look at the "map" was to walk to the elevators; naturally, we usually walked to the wrong set of elevators and then had to walk the entire length of the ship. Not a deal breaker but when you're in high heels or a hurry, it was very annoying. I wish they'd put the deck plans in the cabins for our reference.

This was my 16th cruise but the first time I couldn't get myself acclimated to know whether I was facing the front or the back. It's probably just me but next time, I'm taking printed deck plans with me.

My only other "complaint" is the Wind Jammer all being indoors. I'm sure that's a plus for many people but we love to eat our breakfast and lunch outside when we're on a cruise.

The shows were amazing. The food was very good. Our waitstaff was outstanding. The ship is clean as can be. Every staff member we spoke to was pleasant, efficient and knowledgeable.  I was surprised to hear how many of them have been with RCI for 10 years or more so it seems the staff likes RCI business methods as much as their customers do.

Our cabin was Midship, Deck 6, with a balcony. Our room steward was phenomenal and the cabin was immaculate. The bed was comfy and one thing I did notice was how steady the temperature stayed in our cabin. We've been on several ships that go from stifling warm, turn on the blasting cold air and then to freezing. The FOS doesn't have extremes which was very nice.

We're not fans of the shopping Promenade but it was very nice and seemed to have a large selection of a great many things with many super-duper sales and specials.  The coffee station had great coffee but it was always a mob scene to get through the crowd to get to it. I wish they'd put it in a less crowded place.

One thing we don't care for is the constant marketing of the specialty dining and the spa services and so on and so on. But all the cruise lines do it now so it wouldn't be fair to bash RCI for what is now a common practice throughout the industry.

I'm drawing a blank now but the bottom line is, we had a wonderful 7 days on the FOS and will always count it among our favorite cruises.

The Love and Marriage game show on our cruise was the funniest thing we've seen in a very long time. They did a super job of selecting contestants and then the Cruise Director (again, drawing the blank for his name) had the perfect knack for asking the questions in just the right way. It was a terrific time.