Another great experience on Royal Caribbean

Contributor Level: Cruise Director

Eastern Caribbean
Sail Date: October 05, 2014
Ship: Freedom of the Seas

I am an experienced "cruiser", and this was my 4th of the year.  My son and I decided to take advantage of a "last minute" offer on Freedom of the Seas, visiting St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and Coco Cay.  We have been on the Freedom before, as well as its sister ship the Independence.  It is a large ship, but is easy to navigate, and we never felt crowded.  I greatly appreciated the "no smoking" section of the Casino.  Our dining experience at Chops Grill was outstanding.  Our stateroom attendant was "Susie", and she was terrific.  The only "hiccup" was that the specialty coffee machine in the Diamond Lounge was out of service for most of the week...something I really missed.

se review

always something going on

Magician and Comedian were both great. Cruise Director, Casey Pelter is the best I have seen, by far. He did an outstanding job communicating, and was an awesome host of the Love and Marriag show, as well as The Quest.

did not use

see revoew

Ship was well maintained, but is due for a facelift later this year.

Attendant will provide daily ice buckets if requested.

I have always booked balcony cabins. This time, however, we took advantage of a good rate on an oceanview cabin. It was great...we were able to take advantage of the water view without the expense of balcony.

We flew in the day before the cruise, and rented a car (one way) at the Orlando Airport. We enjoyed the afternoon, and it was nice to have our own transportation...and the price was less than our shuttle or taxi fares would have been.
Definitely take advantage of the rum punch drink!
Shopping was great. If you have already been to Magens Bay (which is incredible), a good alternative is Emerald beach, which is just a few minutes from the ship.
Maribel's Half Day Catamaran was a great time sailing, snorkeling, and enjoying the water and scenery.