Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Mixed Bag

Sail Date: January 29, 2016

We took a cruise on this ship nine years ago, and it was 5 stars all the way.  Ditto for our second RC cruise a year later on a different ship.  This time, we noticed some differences, starting with our cabin, which I will review below.  Suffice to say, it was a huge disappointment, especially since it was sold as a "preferred" oceanview cabin.  Our cabin attendant was nice, although we saw very little of him.  On our past RC cruises, the cabin attendants were much more visible and solicitous, but that's more of an observation than a complaint.  The location for a "preferred" cabin was not the best:  right off the atrium and right beneath the pool deck.  I didn't mind the music late into the night, but as early as 4:30 a.m., we were awakened by carts and/or deck chairs being dragged around above us, presumably by the staff.  Knowing there are people sleeping directly below, perhaps they could wait til at least daybreak?

The ship itself looked no different than it did nine years ago...nice and clean and bright.  There are lots of comfortable chairs around to enjoy the view from inside and outside (Deck 5 is a nice quiet place to sit outside).  We loved the Schooner Bar and the Solarium.

We did the My Time dining, which worked out well for us.  I made our reservations for each night online, and we were always seated right away.  The food was excellent; no complaints there at all.  The service was not the same as on our previous cruises, where we got to know our waiters quite well.  We saw little of our main waiter, but that was because, as he put it "They have me running around like a chicken with my head cut off!"  We could see all the waiters dashing around and had the feeling the dining room was understaffed.  Our second waiter, Andri, was awesome...very friendly and attentive despite having a full plate (pun intended).

The Windjammer Cafe was good for breakfast and lunch...it was often crowded at prime times, but that's to be expected.  The food itself was good, although the desserts were kind of disappointing.  The staff in the Windjammer was always ready to clear the table and bring a cold drink.

The activities were great...lots of fun things going on at all times.  We especially enjoyed the karaoke one night, music trivia in the Schooner Bar and the "Love and Marriage" game show.

We purchased the unlimited wifi for each day, and it was pretty bad...can't really think of a good excuse for that in 2016, especially when it's $20/day per person.  It was constantly dropping (on an iPhone 6s and 6s Plus) and, I learned, way too slow to send an iMessage with a photo.  I heard other people complaining about it as well.

All in all, we had a good time and will cruise on Royal Caribbean again, but on a larger/newer ship.  Enchantment needs to pay more attention to its cabins; even a bottle of Windex would go a long way.

Where do I begin...the cabin had a larger window than the regular oceanview cabins (hence the "preferred" status), which was nice, except that it was extremely dirty and the "tint" was a film that was peeling off in places. I can understand the window getting dirty from the outside elements, but we never saw them being cleaned - whereas while parked next to a Disney ship in Nassau, we saw their windows being washed scrupulously. The window ledge was dirty and full of scuff marks. The room had a sofa with stains on one of the cushions...gross. There was one chair that rocked ominously when seated on it, and it was not a rocking chair.

There were three drawers and some shelves in the closet along with six hangers, which was all adequate.

The bathroom was where this cabin really took a nose dive...of course it was small, which we expected. But the shower curtain was dingy/dirty with yellow stains (gross), the grout in the stall and on the floor was dirty-looking, and there was dirt built up in the corners of the floor and the counter. The bathroom also always had the distinct smell of sewage. We would take a shower and not really feel clean...I was glad I brought some slippers to walk around in.

On the second day, I turned on the sink faucet and YELLOW water came out. I called Guest Services and was told there had been a problem with something I didn't quite understand and to let it run a while. Yuck.

The only bright spot was the bed...it was very comfortable (mattress on the hard side, but I prefer that), and the sheets were awesome - very smooth and cool, maybe satin?

The cabin overall had a shabby, dirty, worn-out appearance and could use an overhaul, badly. It certainly should NOT be billed/sold as a "preferred" cabin.
This could not have been easier...we drove to the port and parked in the garage and were probably on the ship within 20 minutes of that.

Leaving was just as seamless...at both times, there were plenty of pleasant people directing us.
Other than our cabin, the design and cleanliness of the ship itself were very good.
We walked into Nassau, and going through the little market right off the dock, there were people soliciting goods and services every few feet...very annoying. Crime is on the rise in Nassau, apparently, so we didn't venture too far. Overall, not much to see.

Coco Cay was really nice and enjoyable!
Staff was not as solicitous in some cases as on our previous cruises, but overall, service and staff were good.

Beware of the "preferred" cabins off the atrium and try to find reviews on the specific cabin you want to book. I wish I had done this.