Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Overall a great trip on The Enchantment of the Seas - 4/13/13

Sail Date: April 13, 2013

Let me start by saying that my husband and I have cruised 25 times with Carnival. It's been 6 years since we cruised on the Royal Carribbean Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore and decided that we were ready to try again. The 12 day itinerary helped with our decision. We cruised with my parents and booked connecting balcony rooms. If you are cruising with another couple or with kids, I definitely recommend the connecting rooms. We left the door open during the day, so we doubled our space it allowed us to spend more time together without going to a lounge. The decor of the ship was beautiful, the staff was friendly and the the layout of the ship dispersed people so there were never any crowds or lines. This is especially true about the lido deck restaurant. Whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner, you could walk in, get your food and find a table with no lines and no waiting. The food choices were amazing and they worked hard to make everything ready and available to keep the flow of food and people moving. The Park Avenue Cafe was another food option. They served deli sandwiches, quesadillas, carving station and dessert. they also had a fresh salad bar. This venue was located in the solarium at the back of the ship. It was peaceful and quiet in the indoor solarium with full windows to allow you to feel like you were outside. Since the early dinner option was full, we chose "my time dining". We made reservations in advance and were able to have dinner at the same table every night with the same waiter. I enjoy getting to know our waiter and assistant waiting during our trips and find that the service is better if they know you. Dinner in the dining room was a great experience every night. Now I must also mention that I have two complaints that I need to share. First, one of the beds in our room was broken. It was the bed closest to the couch and has obviously been used to form an L-shaped seating area with the couch. If you sat on the side of the bed, you could easily slide off. Now imagine trying to sleep in that bed. If you were a back sleeper, and stayed alert, you might be able to stay in the bed, but any slight shift in weight would have you rolling out, with no way to hold on. After a few nights (and trading off with my husband) we realized that slipping a pillow under your left cheek evened out the slope and allowed for a more safe and restful sleep. We inquired about swapping the bed, but no other beds were available. My second complaint was that we had to leave our room between 10:00 am and 2:00pm to allow the crew to paint our balcony. We purchased a balcony so that we could enjoy the deck from our room. The smell was so bad and I wasn't sure when the paint was dry, so we did not have access to our balcony for the entire the day. My parents (in the adjoining room) told me that the painters left the balcony door open while they were painting, which explained why the room smelled like paint. This was a day at sea and, in my opinion, the best place to be on a day at sea is on your personal balcony. Not only could we not use our balcony, but we were unable to use our room. Overall we had a great trip. I know it's and old ship and it needs to be maintained, but when I pay to go on vacation, I expect to be able to rest comfortably in my bed and on my balcony. I should not be forced to sleep in a broken bed and be kicked out of my room for an entire day.
Overall the ship looked good
Food was good. However my husband loves escargot, and even though it was on the menu every night- they were not available. It was a new disappointment every night and got to be a joke with our waiter.
Room was nice, except one of the beds not fit for sleeping. My husband got more sleep on the couch (which was very nice) than he did in the bed.
Children's Programs Did not have kids with us
Baltimore, Maryland
The ramp to board was a little steep for my 73 year old mom
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
St. Maarten has been a favorite stop of ours for many years. This time we opted to stay in Philipsburg and found a new favorite spot.
Basseterre, St. Kitts
Another favorite cruise stop of ours.
Oranjestad, Aruba
3rd time to Aruba, but its been a long time since the last. The area was really nice. We walked about 2-3 miles from the port and found a great bar/restaurant on the beach near the airport.
Willemstad, Curacao
First time at this port. We loved it. The only problem was that we were there on Sunday and many places were closed. After walking around and taking in the sites, we found the perfect restaurant on the water. I ordered red snapper and my husband got escargot and a salad. It was an amazing place.
Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)
A medical emergency prevented us from stopping at this island. I was disappointed because it was going to be my first time on the island.
Port Canaveral, Florida
We got off the ship early and had no trouble making our 11:00 am flight from Orlando.

Park Cafe is amazing for lunch and late night snacks. Coffee shop serves Starbucks at a reasonable price and my Americano was perfect every time. The coffee shop also serves complimentary donuts, pastries and brownies. Maintenance should be limited to unoccupied rooms and the beds need replacing.