Disney Wonder Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Disney Does It Right

Sail Date: May 23, 2016

The evening stage shows were fabulous! There were also many opportunities to see the newest Disney movies (4!), magicians, comedians, and participate in or watch live game shows. The port towns in Alaska are tiny, so when the ship is docked for 8 or 12 hrs, I was very glad we had signed up for excursions AND that we were allowed to go on and off the ship as we pleased. There were so many good meal options that I didn't want to miss a dinner on board. Bring your expandable pants!!! Tracy Arm was too heavy with ice so we went down Endicott Arm for our glacier viewing experience. That's when I most appreciated our room balcony because the decks topside were crazy crowded. The only other place that ever felt crowded was the Beach Blanket Buffet. We made a point of having breakfast and lunch at Triton's (table service) or Parrot Cay (excellent buffet). Also, there is no extra charge for the character breakfast, so schedule it early on. We waited several days and got one of the last slots available.

Our cabin was bigger than the hotel room we had the night we stayed in Vancouver! I loved that there were two sinks. One in with the toilet, and one in with the shower. Made getting ready at the same time easier. Paying extra for the window/balcony was totally worth it. We used it a lot. The couples we met with an inner room were not excited about how dark it was, especially when the sun is up from 4 am until 10 pm.
Embarkation was the only long line we ever waited in, and they were really moving people through quickly, there were just a lot of people! Disembarkation was sad because I didn't want to leave. We chose early disembarkation where you take your own luggage and literally just walk off. Very easy.
Disney detailing everywhere and always fun Disney tunes playing quietly in the halls. It was spotless, and I am one to notice dirt, wear, and smudges. The passengers did a very poor job of cleaning up after themselves in the theaters, but they were always clean for the next screening.
The excursions are over priced but tourism is all these towns have. Skagway residents only work during the tourist season and are off the rest of the year unless they own the grocery (there is one) or are a teacher (92 students in K-12), etc. We did the helicopter tour from Juneau that dropped us on the Mendenhall Glacier for hours of ice hiking. There are only clear skies on 2 days out of 10 and we lucked out and got one of them. I got to see the endless expanses of snow and mtn peaks that make up most of Alaska. From the ship you only see the first row of mtns and those are covered in temperate rainforest. This was the best experience of my life! Or maybe tied with snorkeling among sea turtles in Hawaii.
There were plenty of options for all ages, all day long. We chose to see movies, watch the ocean from our balcony, and go to the adult short shows and games in the Wavebands lounge. The evening host was a young, vibrant guy named Jaymze. He was excellent at improv and kept it upbeat and fun. He was a highlight of the trip!
Left the kids at home! But everyone else's kids looked happy going in and coming out.
Awesome! The costumes and sets were phenomenal and the actors were first rate. So glad we went with Disney.
I love the fact that you have the same table mates and servers for every dinner. You really get to know them. Lito was our server and he was perfect! He remembered details about who liked what and always had interesting tidbits about a past experience, or an upcoming port or onboard show. The perfect mix of friendly and professional.
Jaymze was the other staff member who really stood out. I wrote about him under Onboard Activities.
The number of unique and interesting dishes offered every night was amazing. A lot of the vegetarian choices did contain mushrooms, which was not a problem for me but could be for some. Parrot Cay had the best french toast I have ever eaten, on their breakfast buffet! The fresh fruit was all excellent as well.
Vancouver (Canada Place), British Columbia
Signage and people guiding you through were excellent.
Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska
We went down Endicott Arm instead. Be prepared for changes in itinerary. No one can control nature. Oh, we did see seals floating by on ice chunks!
Skagway, Alaska
Our snow shoe excursion was cancelled for lack of snow. I wish we had opted for a train ride through the Yukon pass but we did a rainforest hike instead. The flora was abundant, the fauna was absent. Skagway was my favorite town.
Juneau, Alaska
A veritable city compared to Skagway! There were lots of eagles here, but always far away.
Ketchikan, Alaska
The least maintained of the towns we saw. Not so nice.