Our Disney 7 night cruise to the Western
Disney Magic Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western
Sail Date: May 02, 2009
Ship: Disney Magic
Cabin Type: Oceanview
Traveled As: Family (young children)
Reviewed: 8 years ago
Review SummaryA Truly Magical Trip
Our Disney 7 night cruise to the Western Caribbean was truly magical for my family. We are so glad we went!
This is my third cruise, and my first with Disney. Previous experience was Carnival and Royal Caribbean (RC). In short, we had the BEST TIME on Disney! It was just the 3 of us - myself, my husband and my 4 year old daughter.
The things that we really loved about the CRUISE were:
1. Non-smoking mostly everywhere - very few people smoked. Compared with RC Voyager, where smoke seemed to be everywhere! This was a HUGE deal to me.
2. Stateroom Cat 9 was a good size and lots of closet space and 1.5 baths was awesome! Having a tub to bathe my daughter in makes life for a parent so much easier.
3. Disney characters around every day! Rather than standing outside in the hot sun at Disneyworld, we were able to get lots of pics and autographs onboard - mostly on level 3. Lines were much shorter and it made for a much nicer experience.
4. Dining server (Grace from Jamaica) was so friendly and very knowledgeable. She gave us wonderful service and she really made my daughter feel special. Aleksander, the assistant server was also very gracious. And, the head waiter - Alessandro always checked up on us to ensure we were doing alright.
5. Castaway Cay was GORGEOUS and, like many people, this was our favorite port.
6. Disney's organization of EVERYTHING ONBOARD was fantastic. They make it look so easy. When it's that easy, you know a lot of thought has been put into the details.
7. Oceaneer Club was GREAT! My daughter loved going there - they take great care of the kids. We dropped her off many times, sometimes for dinner even. It was nice for me and my husband to have some time on our own.
8. I loved that Disney organized a 5K run on Castaway Cay. Yes, there were only 3 of us running that morning, but Matt from the Disney Entertainment group was wonderful as he took us around the island for the run. Later, I found a certificate slid under my stateroom door, showing i had ran it - a nice touch.
9. The production shows on Disney are fantastic for families. We always arrived about 30 minutes and were generally the first in line - and had our pick of seats. I personally preferred these shows over the old timey RC entertainment.
10. I called Disney before our vacation and asked if they had DVDs in the room. They told me to fax a request in, and I did. They then set me up with a DVD in my room at no charge. Wow, talking about service!
11. Disney offers great channels on TV. Though we spent little time in our room, when we did turn it on, it was nice to get some good variety of shows, including some live news.
12. Room service is quick - 25 minutes max - we used it once for my daughter, and were quite pleased, though we definitely prefer to go to the dining room for a decent variety.
13. Palos was WONDERFUL. Our server, Igor, was so attentive. We went only once, but we were very impressed with the food and the service.
13. Captain Tom ordered the perfect weather each and every day! From the high 80's to the low 90's...we were very happy cruisers!
14. The tendering situation in Grand Cayman is so easy. When we went there last year via RC, I sent my husband to get tickets the nite before and there was a mob of people waiting in no particular line. He hated that experience. Disney makes you go to a theater after your breakfast (with all your stuff and family) and they lead you in an orderly fashion outside to the tender boat. I got there at 730am and was off the ship by 8am - and I had much time to spare before embarking on a tour (not with Disney).
15. Debarkation at Port Canaveral is A BREEZE!
Food and Dining
Main Dining gets a 4 in my book.
Palos gets a 6 - Loved everything about this place.
Service and Staff
Cabin / Stateroom
Love the H20 soap, shampoo, body butter!
Ports of Call
Don't Miss: family beach
Don't Miss: Huge stingrays in the wild at Stingray Sandbar
Don't Miss: Duval Street stroll is a must.
Pros: Non-Smoking, 1.5 baths, entertainment, disney's organization thruout the ship, oceaneer club
Cons: MIckey pool very crowded, Topsider food not great. Little food choices after 9pm