Costa Victoria Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Sail Date: July 09, 2011

The ship was clean and beautiful. Some of the fabircs looked dated and some of the towels were a little ratty but in general things looked spiffy. The common areas were generously-proportioned and breezy, and I liked very much that the ship in general was not over-air-conditioned.

Pros: I loved being an American on an Italian cruise line. There was so much diversity in terms of the nationalities of the other guests and we were in the definite minority coming from the U.S. We got to speak Italian, French and Spanish every day. The staff is mulitlingual which makes it even more fun!

Cons: I didn't care much for the port of Ancona, it was dull.

Recommends Costa Victoria? Yes!

I liked that the ship wasn't massive but was large enough to offer a variety of different areas, multiple restaurants and evening-activity areas. The pool and pool area could have been a little larger, as it was very popular.
We couldn't get over the food in the regular restaurant. 6 courses each night with at least 3 choices in each course. Some of the dishes were absolutely unforgettable. We sent our compliments to the chef three nights. We loved being able to get room service for no extra charge, and took breakfast on our balcony every morning, that was the best!
Our room was small, just a little bit bigger than a queen-sized bed. There was generous closet space and shelves/drawers which was good. Bathroom was a littel dated but very cute. The absolute best was the private balcony in our room-- glass sliding doors and a large blacony with 2 chairs and a table. beautiful! The ship runs so quietly we had no trouble with hall noise.
These guys were superb. Their enthusiasm and joy for what they do really shows! We made many good friends among the staff and loved to interact with them.
There was so much available I think you can't take advantage of everything! There were quizzes and dancing and shows and contests galore. I don't think they repeated anything twice. The singing and dancing were exceptional! Sometimes they brought on special acts in various ports and one named Adams Medini was mesemrizing.
Piraeus (Athens), Greece
This was a terrific poace to visit. Wish they could have extended the visit. The Parthenon and the Acropolis were stunning. Interesting also to be in Greece in such a time of turmoil-- the protest signs in front of the Parliament building reminds one you are in the birthplace of democracy.
Dubrovnik, Croatia
This was the absolute best port of the whole trip. I wished we could have been here for days and days. It is incredible how they have re-built the old city even after most of it was wiped out in the war in the 90s.
Mykonos, Greece
It was nice to have the whole day here, and the panoramic bus tour was gorgeous. I say SKIP Paradise Beach, it was yucky and not worth it! Dinner along hte shore in the "Little Venice" area is spectacular, watching the sun set with those crashing waves-- exciting!
Corfu, Greece
Our excursion included a monastary which was very interesting and picturesque. I loved the collection of ancient icons there. I have been thinking that the beauty of Corfu might have me retire there someday.
Ancona, Italy
We were there on a Sunday so it was pretty dull- also it was a month where many go on holiday elsewhere. We did choose to worship at the Cathedral high on the hill, and that was very rewarding.