Costa Pacifica Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

Great experience, price includes the basics.

Sail Date: February 17, 2014

It was a honeymoon holiday for us.  We flew to Barcelona to board this cruise.  The port is close to town but the cruise was parked at the outermost terminal.  Glad that we took a taxi from Parallel to the boarding gate.  (Do not attempt to take a bus and walk even from La Ramblas... it is very far walk regardless if you have luggages.)

This cruise embark and disbark at almost every port.  This is very interesting.  We met a few other North Americans who boarded in Barcelona.  But apparently, Savona and Marseille are the most popular embark/disbark ports for locals.

We had a Balcony cabin, it was very comfortable.  Generous bedroom size and bathroom size.

The population on the cruise is mostly European families.  All announcements were made in at least 4 languages including English.

When I was onboard, I was non-stop bombarded with "Book your excursion now!" information.  No one forced us to book anything, but I feel that there were too much onboard-selling... it was on announcements, cabin TV, swimming pool screens... non-stop looping.  I managed to visit and navigate all the ports on my own without any excursions.  But I have heard good reviews on the excursions from other passengers.

Most ports have excursions organized by local companies, look at those if you have time.  Much better pricing.

Drink packages, upgraded dining, jewlery sale, spa specials... these are in my face all the time!  Not complaining, but for budgeting.  Just beware that the cabin price only includes the basics and be ready to spend more money onboard!

The only rough day (I actually puked and stayed in bed all day) was the "At Sea" day.

Overall, it was a great experience.  Great staff, great food, great shows, great ports.

Fair size
No bad meals! Yet breakfast is the same everyday, no surprise
Sofa has stain but it's acceptable.
Great shows
Barcelona, Spain
Runningbean Walking Tour... free tour, tip-basis. Great 2-hour history lesson.
Palma De Mallorca, Balearic Islands
Take the Citysightseeing Tour Bus (Hop on Hop off) right at the port entrance
Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
Train station is 5-minute walking to the right of the port entrance, go to Rome is 50 minutes
La Spezia (Cinque Terre), Italy
Join the local tour to Piza at the Information Centre where the shuttle drops you off. Only cost 20 Euro/pp
Savona (Genoa), Italy
Go out for a walk in the morning, go back to cruise for lunch, then head out again if you want. A walkable town.
Marseille (Provence), France
Take the "Free Shuttle" at Info Desk rather than the 11.95Euro shuttle offered by the cruise line. They are the same. Both bring you to the Old Port (a 20-min ride)

The "At Sea" Day is rough, be sure to take sea-sick medication in advance.

There is local "free shuttle" at Marseille until April 2014 at least, just ask the non-cruise Information Desk after getting off the cruise. This is the same as the Euro$11.95 shuttle offered by the cruise company.