Costa Mediterranea Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Great Destinations, but...

Sail Date: August 26, 2016

This was the first cruise I've ever done, but have traveled extensively, including in the Adriatic.

- I was disappointed by the amount of time we had in several ports.  4-5 hours in Dubrovnik and Kotor?  The Olympia tour was extremely underwhelming.  Many people complained about not being able to go to the museum, so that should be highlighted as an exclusion.

- Also, pretty screwed up that you can book the tours at the last minute on the dock for way less than those who prepared in advance paid.

- travelling alongside other ships created extreme overcrowding in ports.  Split streets were barely navigable.

- I intentionally booked an Italian cruise line expecting fabulous food.  This was also incredibly disappointing.  I had one dish that would pass as good, and nothing above that.  Finally stopped going to the nightly dinners because it was not worth my time to sit and eat mediocre food for 2 hours.  Not even fresh pasta?  I always seek out several gourmet meals when traveling, so was really shocked at the quality of food and lack of flavor.

- Overcrowded...  Realize as an American we are at a disadvantage in a culture where pushing, shoving, and skipping in lines is normal.  I also heard several European and South African guests complaining about the aggressiveness of other guests, uncontrolled children, inability to get a seat at buffet dinners, even on the pool decks, etc.  An elderly South African family said they would only do an American cruise line in the future because of the crowding and being pushed and shoved around so much.

- Timing of food?  Again understand this is cultural and some cultures eat much earlier than others, but not having food available in the late afternoons, besides what you have to pay in addition for, was annoying.  After coming back from spending hours walking or sunbathing, it would have been nice to be able to get a bite to eat.

- Paid food - the crepes were barely edible.

- Cost of minibar in room was exorbitant, especially if one had paid for a drink package.  Not being able to go somewhere and pick up water or soda for the cabin (besides when in port and paying for it) is pretty stupid.

- Just really really overcrowded.  Could barely get through certain areas.  1/2 the elevators were out at any given time, creating long lines and competition to get on an elevator.

- I am a 40-something single and placed with elderly women at dinner, along with families.  In such a situation, language is not as important as age and life situation.

- Never imagined I'd have to set my alarm every day on vacation.  That was quite a surprise.

I loved my cabin and deck - and paid greatly for it.  My cabin steward Maria was amazing!

Excellent. Great deck, comfortable bed, bathroom and shower were excellent. Terrific steward - Maria.
garish. cabin doors allowed in alot of noise from hallways. lots of screaming kids and drunk adults going back and forth late at night.
Venice, Italy
Amazing, but schedule time before/after cruise.
Trieste, Italy
Split, Croatia
Go into town later. Too crowded first thing in morning.
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Very little time in port.
Katakolon (Olympia), Greece
Olympia tour was underwhelming. The small town near by was touristy, but very cute. Heard the small area around the port was more worthwhile.
Corfu, Greece
Very nice. Intense crowds at first, but if you stay in town after the tour buses leave, you are good to go.
Kotor, Montenegro
Not alot to do/see when the ship gets in at 7am. Way to early and 4.5 hours in port not enough for Montenegro.

No real guidance on what to pack clothes-wise. There was a formal night and a white night. I did take dresses, but could have survived with shorts and capris, since I stopped going to dining room due to the poor quality of the food.