Costa Deliziosa Cruise Review to Caribbean

Third Mate

Terrible food and money grabbing policies instead of focusing on quality

Sail Date: January 07, 2016

We just came from this ship I usually do not leave the review but I think this trip needs a review so that people can understand before they decide on this cruise line.

My state room was ok. However, food on this cruise is terrible. Even the Italian food mostly was dried up or mussy. The only time Pasta was worth eating was when it was cooked in front of us fresh. First day I ordered ravioli in the only restaurant available to us and it was the most dried up ravioli I have ever had. I usually had to send 4 out of five dishes with just one bite tasted.

Overall dining arrangement is also bad. Dinner times are either from 6:15 or 9:15. People who take 6:15 can't go anytime later than 7:15 (which is difficult to make on the days when we go out of ship) and 9:15 time is too late for dinner. We went to restaurant few days and had to just give up as we had to sit there still 10:30 or 11.

The cruise crew does try hard to please customers but overall they just talk in same monotone voice instead of doing something to help guests. They have a lot of activities scheduled around to have customers spend money and that seems to be their main focus. It shows in the flash sales they put, photography each evening in multiple points (where photographers actually ask people passing by and these photographers are not professionally trained), spa ladies standing outside to grab customers (I stopped going in that area to avoid these ladies), and creating makeshift restaurants in buffet area each evening where you have to pay for dinner (during this time dinner selection is reduced and main dining restaurant does not have proper timing or even proper Italian food for that matter).

I liked the itinerary of this cruise however did not enjoy the cruise very much. Ended up most of the time in my stateroom.  I might have been better off with an American based cruise line as this felt like a vacation in overcrowded European village. Also, there is $12 per person per day mandatory surcharge and 15% gratuity charged even for a bottle of water.

Also, if you plan to leave early on this cruise line and don't want to drag your bags all over cruise, I would suggest to go and check where they are existing from. They told us (200 people) to meet on level 3 and then drag our bags half way in the cruise and then send on back to the level 2 and back half way. We could have just taken the elevator just one more level down and not needed to go through this circle. Crew or cruise line for that matter do not care.

We liked it for the access to balcony otherwise it would have been hard for us to even pass time on the ship.
Embarkation was ok but disembarkation was very badly handled. They made us circle the entire ship with our bags in hand and did not seem at all sorry to do that to us. Terrible planning.
very cluttered design and no wow factor. Pools and Jacuzzi were so crowded that we did not even tried using.
Did not take cruise excursions. It was cheaper and better to go out and take another company.
My stateroom steward and most of the servers were very good. They try hard to please guests but just overall policy of the cruise line is messed up to give better rating.