Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Purser

Carnival Valor Cruise from Port Canaveral

Sail Date: January 02, 2016

This was my 1st cruise with Carnival and my family was very disappointed compared with other cruise ships we have been on.  We would like to 1st say that the crew was very friendly and rooms were very nice.  The one thing that we just couldn't get pass was the smell of cigarette smoke throughout the entire ship to include my room.  The food was good in the dinning room but not the buffet.  Breakfast was the same every morning and we were not particular a fan of the ship serving hot dogs in place of sausages on the breakfast buffet.  The Chocolate night buffet looked awesome and we chose a little bit of everything.  Didn't like anything and I am a chocolate fanatic.  We were also very disappointed in the buffet closing at 9:15 every night and the only thing that was opened was Pizza.  Really, just not understanding how the clubs close late and there is no buffet for people to go to.  One thing that was very disturbing to me and my husband was that one night, when the buffet was shutting down, an older gentlemen was trying to get something to eat as the buffet was getting ready to close, a worker behind the counter had the nerve to take a piece of cake away from the passenger and told the passenger that they were closing and that he couldn't have that piece of cake.  We felt so bad for that gentlemen.  As for the shows, there weren't very many planned for a 7-day cruise.  We did enjoy 3 of the 4-islands that we visited but what a joke Amber Cove is.  We planned on staying at the pool, on the island, all day.  We were never told to take our towels with us so when we were at the pool, we noticed everyone had a towel so I looked for a place to get one but there was none.  The workers said that we needed to bring our own towel from our room.  We weren't about to go all the way back to the ship so I asked if we could rent towels but we couldn't even rent them.  I was like, are you kidding me?  You would think that Carnival would have everything available to it's customers if needed.  How hard is it to have towels available for your customers, even if we had to rent them.  After we couldn't find any towels, we just decided to go back to the ship and hang out at that pool.  A day wasted on our dime.  Carnival may want to look at renting towels on their private Islands.  I have been on cruises where you are taken to a private island that you didn't have to pay to go the beach and lunch was even provided.  We were very disappointed in Amber Cove.  All the other islands were wonderful.  I am not sure that I will cruise on Carnival again due to my reasons listed above.  I paid for a 7-day fun filled trip.  The only thing that saved this vacation was the Island hopping and not being on the ship.  I may try another Carnival Ship in the future, but I will have to rethink my choice before booking.

Cabin was kept very clean and towel animals were adorable.
Not bad. Line to get on the ship was long but bearable. Getting off the ship was a little long but not bad.
The one thing that we just couldn't get pass was the smell of cigarette smoke throughout the entire ship to include our room.
We did enjoy 3 of the 4-islands that we visited but what a joke Amber Cove is. We planned on staying at the pool, on the island, all day. We were never told to take our towels with us so when we were at the pool, we noticed everyone had a towel so I looked for a place to get one but there was none. The workers said that we needed to bring our own towel from our room. We weren't about to go all the way back to the ship so I asked if we could rent towels but we couldn't even rent them. I was like, are you kidding me? You would think that Carnival would have everything available to its customers if needed. How hard is it to have towels available for your customers, even if we had to rent them. After we couldn't find any towels, we just decided to go back to the ship and hang out at that pool. A day wasted on our dime. Carnival may want to look at renting towels on their private Islands. I have been on cruises where you are taken to a private island that you didn't have to pay to go the beach and lunch was even provided. We were very disappointed in Amber Cove. All the other islands were wonderful.
A few good activities that I could probably count on 1 hand.
I have a 17 year old and his comments were that there was not much to do in the teen center. Not very many kids utilizing the center.
There weren't very many planned for a 7-day cruise
Crew was very friendly and rooms were very nice
The food was good in the dining room but not the buffet. Breakfast was the same every morning and we were not particular a fan of the ship serving hot dogs in place of sausages on the breakfast buffet. The Chocolate night buffet looked awesome and we chose a little bit of everything. Didn't like anything and I am a chocolate fanatic. We were also very disappointed in the buffet closing at 9:15 every night and the only thing that was opened was Pizza. Really, just not understanding how the clubs close late and there is no buffet for people to go to. One thing that was very disturbing to me and my husband was that one night, when the buffet was shutting down, an older gentlemen was trying to get something to eat as the buffet was getting ready to close, a worker behind the counter had the nerve to take a piece of cake away from the passenger and told the passenger that they were closing and that he couldn't have that piece of cake. We felt so bad for that gentlemen.
Port Canaveral, Florida
Didn't stay long enough to get an accurate rating.
Amber Cove (Puerto Plata), Dominican Republic
Bring your towel with you on their Private Islands
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Take a taxi into town. Good shopping.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Plenty of tours and cabs outside of the ship at a much lower cost.
Grand Turk Island
Awesome island. Beach right off the pier. You can rent floats and snorkel gear.

Bring your towel with you on their Private Islands