Good first experience with some unsatisfactory services

Carnival Triumph Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

5 Night Western Caribbean (New Orleans Roundtrip)
Sail Date: September 17, 2016
Ship: Carnival Triumph

First, I would say that the cruise was very enjoyable.  The service staff was great.  The food was real good.  My only gripes are with the port cities and Carnival's Guest Services.  My impression from Guest Services is that if you aren't going to do an excursion with them, they won't be very helpful.  We have a big family, so paying for these excursions is out of the budget.  So, I called Guest Services several times for advice.  No one could help.  I even spoke to one person that said that they didn't know because they have never been to that port city.  So what ended up happening was we paid we too much to go to a beach in Cozumel.  Progresso was a nightmare because we went to the public beach and had no idea that we were going to hounded constantly by people trying to sell stuff to us.  This even happened while we were laying down on the beach.

The private beach we went to was nice, but it was expensive. Would have liked to know about other options that were cheaper.
Don't go to the public beach.