Great trip, lousy ship.

Carnival Sunrise Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Sunrise

8 Night Exotic Eastern Caribbean (New York Roundtrip)

Sail date: July 22, 2019

Ship: Carnival Sunrise

Cabin type: Suite

Cabin number: 7231

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

As I stated before, sell the ship. I could not find anyone from our cruise who was really pleased. All felt the ship itself was a disappointment, and this will have a negative effect on Carnival. I certainly will not give a positive opinion about either the ship or the line. I am certain I will not be alone.

Embarkation

Very good, quite fast.

Ship experiences

Generally, the meals were fine, a few were superb. Good diversity in the offerings.

When a ship goes through a 106 million dollar refit and ends up cramming 3919 passengers in a space previously occupied by 2754 passengers, something has to give- in this case the space felt more like Times Square on New Year's Eve. More will follow.

Can the cruise director, the terrible comics, and the useless game shows. Give us more productions by the stage show troupe.

The kids were generally out of control at night on most decks. Since the pools were tiny, and the kids were not restricted to just one pool, it was difficult to find much room in any of the pools.

The one bright light on the cruise was the staff- waiters, room stewards and the rest were great, particularly when considering that they were forced to care for about 40% more passengers than before. Captain was very gracious on the "Behind the fun" tour, very humble and most hospitable as well.

Whatever elegance the ship had before has been lost in the refit. How can you cram more than 120 extra cabins on board and not realize there will be no more place for quiet or anything else? Serenity was anything but- kids all over it, hooting and hollering. I've cruised with my wife and different friends over several lines on 37 cruises for 42 years. I'm no amateur, and went on this cruise with reluctance, but was encouraged by two good friends who wanted us to join. I consider Carnival to be bottom of the barrel, and this experience only reinforced that feeling. I will not return.

Reasonably comfortable for three- the wife and myself and my sister. Room was listed to fit as many as five- that trick would have worked only if the king size bed was occupied by four. There was no room to fit a trundle bed or anything like that. Cabin was always clean, never a problem there.

Ship tip

Don't. My advice to Carnival is to sell that tub before word gets out about how bad it is, and totally destroys whatever good will exists about the company.

Ports of call

New York, New York

Hate NYC. Congested, dirty, always want to get out as fast as possible. My only "excursion" is to get out.

San Juan, Puerto Rico Did not visit port

With what was going on in San Juan at the time, we all decided to stay on board. No matter- we've visited many times before.

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

Too bad Megan's Bay has suffered terribly from the recent hurricanes. Lost many trees, beach is much larger than before, not as much shade. Still nice water, though.

Grand Turk Island

We did the glass bottom boat tour. Knowledgeable guides, very amusing as well. Very nice beach right by dock.

Disembarkation

Could not have been worse. Priority disembarkation is a joke. We were told by staff in the Liquid Lounge as we entered that we could go right down and disembark. The twit apparently did not know that direction only applied to those taking their own luggage, and not checked luggage. We experienced the "pleasure" of being forced to wait for another hour until a porter could get our luggage. Another outrage.