Carnival Splendor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Ship Ruined Good Time

Sail Date: April 24, 2016

The layout of this sister ship to the Costa Concordia (sank off Italian coast after hitting rocks) is awful. The ship is not digital even though it launched in 2008. Most notable is the Lido deck buffet, going port to starboard instead of bow to stern as other ships do. This led to a much smaller space for everyone to get food, as well as a lower variety of dishes. After 10 cruises, this was a first (and a last). 3 separate dining room areas made walking the ship good excersize I didn't bargain for. decks 3 and 4 (usually just 1 deck) don't pass through, making getting to these dining rooms difficult at times. But, the food was very good everywhere. Dining room service mixed. I asked for a bagel not toasted and was told not possible because they are frozen. (?) A heavy handed waiter poured coffee continuously thru my coffee cup onto the table and he was not trained well. The temperature on the ship was very cold, and I went to the outdoor pool to warm up. Very long lines at the Deli on the Lido deck (because of the lack of food). Two middle nights there was no entertainment but for the marriage game (ugh!) and Hasbro game. The comedy night club had too few seats and folks stood 6 deep at the back of the room for a comedian.  Several elevators did not work throughout the cruise. The night table next to the bed had a large door; no top drawer.  The huge "Robusto Bar' on deck 4 was never used! Could have had entertainment there. ANYTHING! Narrow doorways everywhere made passage of 2 folks a challenge at times. The central Atrium area was underwhelming at best. To finalize, I got a 1 liter bottle of water as a gift by being a returning traveler (I used to go to a Captain's party, get a cocktail & snack). I paid $$$ and got a plastic bottle of a liter of water. What a diss! The ship was just plain awful. the ports of call were fine.

Cruise Photos

Not too bad. No top drawer to the night place to put condoms or personal items.

Sail on a different Carnival ship.