Carnival Splendor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Third Mate

It was Ok but nothing blew me away!

Sail Date: January 03, 2016

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Let me start by saying I have been on 6 cruises before(all on Royal Caribbean just by chance) but decided to try Carnival a try as I wanted to visit Turks and Caicos and Royal doesn't do that port.  We found a really good deal for a Balcony room and decided to give it a try.

Room- It was nice as Royal, big enough for my wife, 8 year old daughter and myself. Lots of storage which is nice and you can put all your suitcases under the bed to save space.  Only 1 plug outlet in room to charge devises just as a heads up. Balcony had 2 chairs and small table.

Food- Dining room was ok. Royal we found much better and a lot more selection every night.  The wait staff were excellent though(Felipe, Harold, Jesus)  Buffet was ok also. They didn't change things up enough, always the same things.  The Grill was good for Burgers and fries and the 24 hour pizza was excellent.  The soft serve ice cream was a big hit also with everyone onboard.

Pools- We found them to be a bit too small even for a cruise ship.  Of course on At Sea days a chair is hard to come by anywhere as you have to go out before 10 am to reserve your seats. We are early risers so no biggie for us.

Casino- Never went. Sorry

Sports bar- Was ok. Only went once to watch the NFL wildcard games on Saturday.  It was ok also but needs to be bigger I think.  It held just enough people as it was full for the early game and half full for 2nd game.

Disembarkment- This was the best that I've seen.  Was fast and organized.

Cruise Photos

Was big enough for the 3 of us. Lots of storage. NO complaints.
Like everyone says, its an old ship and needs a refurbish. I heard from the staff its going in for a refurbish in March for 2 weeks or so. Will be much needed.
My 8 Year old loved Camp Carnival! Always had things to do and she loved meeting new friends to play with.
My daughter loved the dancers and singers. I thought they were ok. Comedians were good.
Felipe, Jesus, and Harold were amazing in the dinning room.
Food was OK. Nothing Fantastic.
Amber Cove (Puerto Plata), Dominican Republic
We just stayed at port at the new pool, waterslide, zipline and bar they just finished. Price for food and drinks are a bit steep. Just looked around the shops in port.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Been here 3 times before. Its the same if you have been here. Bought my wife a new diamond ring(I think i got a good deal) took the overpriced Skyride to Paradise Point but nothing much up there but a restaurant. I did it for my daughter but I thought there was more up there to do but I guess I forgot there wasn't.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Have sailed out of San Juan 3 times but never toured around. We waited to get off the ship to book an excursion and I was happy we did. Much cheaper off the ship!!! Did Old San Juan and a couple Forts.
Grand Turk Island
Beautiful Island and water and beach. Next time I will venture off the beach right at port. It gets very busy. I nice little food shack just down the beach with good Jerk chicken and cheap beer and free WiFi.