First Carnival cruise was OK

Carnival Splendor Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

7 Night Canada & New England (New York Roundtrip)
Sail Date: September 06, 2015

We decided to book this cruise to join some friends who had already booked.  I've had numerous cruises before but with HAL, Celebrity, or NCL.   I still prefer those other brands, but found Carnival to be OK - -  it was just a bit too loud and frantic for my taste, since my goal is to relax on a cruise.

Of the things that ranked very high, their overall service and spa cabins were great.

Entertainment fell flat for me on this cruise, though.   Showy shows were too cheesy and over the top (and too loud), and comedians were plentiful but just average to me.   Subject matter makes a big difference, and comedians should adopt their routine to react to how the audience is responding.

The ship's decor was off-the-charts odd, like the designer was inspired by Dr. Seuss and Studio54 disco ideas.   You get used to it, but it was not pleasant.

Ports were great, no complaint there!    Beautiful area of the world to cruise to.

Food was hit or miss, but lobster was fantastic (something most cruiselines either do poorly or have removed altogether from MDR menus).   The buffet had lots of variety and I found the food there to be just fine.

We enjoyed the time with friends, which was the primary reason for the cruise!

When the buffet is really crowded, check out deck 10 Rotisserie area for ample table space and another coffee machine!