Carnival Splendor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Carnival Cruise

Sail Date: January 03, 2009

The overall cleanliness of the ship was excellent. The design/decor was a bit tacky. I heard more than one guest comment on the decor. The main pool area was small and quiet. It wasn't lively at all. The main pool area had a retractable cover above that is used in the event of poor weather, but it was a terrible feature when it was nice. It made it difficult to view the main pool area. Fortunately there wasn't anything to view, so no big deal. We stayed mainly at the rear, adults only pool. I have to commend the management for enforcing this. Wish they would enforce the no reservation of pool chairs. The reason for my poor rating was mostly due to the lack of food accessibility and the unfriendly bartenders. The food served at the main evening session was very good. The food served in the buffets was average. The pizza and sandwhich quality was very good, but the lines were unreasonable. The grilled chicken shop was open a whopping three hours a day or less.

Pros: Sandwhich Shop, Piano Bar, Comedians

Cons: Unfriendly Bartenders, Terrible Music. Food availability.

Recommends Carnival Splendor? No.

Clean. Average Design.
Stateroom attendents were awesome. Bartenders were beyond terrible. I'm not a racist!!! I don't care where you're from or what your color is, but it appears someone at Carnival has made a decision to hire 98% of their bartenders from one particular country. Interestingly enough Royal Caribbean does the same. The big difference is Royal Caribbean has figured out the culture from the country from which they seek their bartenders is warm, friendly, outgoing and very service oriented. The country in which Carnival seeks their bartenders results in poor service, stale personalities and just an overall feeling of.....ahhh....let's say they were just terrible.
Quality of food at main seating was very good. Quality of pizza and sanwhiches was very good. Buffets were poor. Long lines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't have this problem on Royal Caribbean.
Comedy was great. Cruise director was very good. I hate to give it a poor rating because I really liked the comedy shows, but the daily entertainment at the pools was basically non existent and they tortured us with very weird, crappy music.
Excellent stateroom attendent. Best service on the ship. The bartenders need to see the stateroom attendents for training on customer service.