Carnival Splendor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Good time, but would not repeat

Sail Date: December 06, 2008

I do recommend this ship to people on a budget who want to see the islands we visited. I would probably not do a Carnival Cruise again or such a big cruise liner. I didn't feel like a person....just a number. The ship overall was clean and nice, but could use some improvements such as wet wipes in the dining area. More buffet lines open longer....I think we spent half of our cruise waiting in line for food, embarkation, debarkation, dinner, and getting of at ports of call. They need more organization!

Pros: Less days at sea, Food

Cons: It was a game of hurry up and than wait in line

Recommends Carnival Splendor? Yes!

La Romana, Dominican Republic
Get away from the port. First impression is DIRTY and gross! We went on a snorkel and sail tour through the ship. It was great! It rained and was very choppy, but this is where the true beauty is....the water! I was told also by a fellow passenger to go on the Garden Tour.....that was beautiful. NOTHING to do right by the pier and very little shopping. Taxi's will cost $$$$
Don't Miss: Do whatever you want, but get away from the pier!
San Juan, Puerto Rico
We just got off the ship and did a bit of shopping. DO attend the shopping meeting with Kathryn....even if just to get a map. There will be lots of homeless and this was a night stop.....a little be scary, but you are fine as long as you stay in a group and use your street smarts. Probably would not recommend this to handicap or someone that has a hard time getting around as the streets are cobblestone and sidewalks VERY narrow.
Don't Miss: Governor's mansion was decorated for Christmas and other Christmas decorations
We just got off the ship and walked around. Beautiful beach scenery! Vendors are very aggressive and sell alot of knockoff Coach & Prada purses. Also, hair braiders are everywhere....watch out...one actually started to braid my hair when I was looking at another vendor's items....I immediately asked her to stop and walked away.
Don't Miss: Just exploring
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
We did the Ultimate Island Tour through Carnival. It was nice because we felt like we saw the sights and did get away from the crowd. This is a very crowded port as 6 ships were in port at the same time. Give yourself PLENTY of time to get back to port....we sat in traffic for well over a 1/2 hour to go about 2 miles! Taxi's cost $4 from downtown back to ship or vice versa each way. Would not walk this!
Don't Miss: The beaches